Question about 98 Crown Vic brakes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 05:30   #1 (permalink)

Question about 98 Crown Vic brakes

98 CV w/130 miles.

I had brakes put on at 114k miles. Im not sure if just pads were put on or rotors and pads. But in short, the brakes were fine for about 15k miles. Now I am getting a slight shimmy in the steering wheel when I apply the brakes at a speed greater than 40 miles an hour.

Last oil change, I told the dealer about this and he said the pads had greater than 80% life left. Further, he stated that when it got unbearable, to let them know and they'd fix it.

With my car aging, am I going to have to put pads on every 10k miles to avoid this? Is this a fluke, or is there something else I should have replaced to get to the root of the cause? I had lower ball joints put on about 5k miles ago. The tires have been recently balanced and rotated, so I'm fairly certain its something in the front brakes.

Any ideas? Thanks
98VicCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 09:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: Question about 98 Crown Vic brakes

My guess is that the rotors were not replaced when you had the pads done, and now its time to replace them. What probably happened is that with new pads, the breaks generated more heat which warped the already worn rotors. That said, if the rotors still have a fair amount of material left they may be able to be machined, I haven't had much luck with that though.

A shimmy felt in the steering wheel is usually front breaks, and a shimmy felt in the seat but not in the steering wheel is usually back breaks.

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS ~89,000mi, Willow Green inside and out. It's very green.
1998 Chevrolet Malibu Base V6 187,000mi (sold)
BigMerc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 15:29   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMerc96 View Post
My guess is that the rotors were not replaced when you had the pads done, and now its time to replace them. What probably happened is that with new pads, the breaks generated more heat which warped the already worn rotors. That said, if the rotors still have a fair amount of material left they may be able to be machined, I haven't had much luck with that though.

A shimmy felt in the steering wheel is usually front breaks, and a shimmy felt in the seat but not in the steering wheel is usually back breaks.
I second that.
Old 04-13-2010, 21:00   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the opinions guys. I'll speak with the dealer this week and see what they say once they get the car on a lift to take a peek.
Old 04-13-2010, 23:10   #5 (permalink)

Also, I've decided to do this brake job myself.

Can you recommend some rotors and pads that work good? I read ceramic pads are best. Whats a good rotor and pad that is quiet, and good for stop-n-go traffic?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2010, 08:53   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If you're a very agressive driver, get some pads that are made for Police cars and crossdrilled rotors. I just get regular Napa rotors and pads for mine since I don't drive. I also try to find rotors that aren't made in China.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:31   #7 (permalink)

On my Malibu I used Duralast Premium Ceramics (or whatever they call them) from Autozone with standard Duralast rotors, in the 15,000mi until I sold the car they hadn't warped the rotors, unlike the semi-metalics they replaced (which only lasted ~8,000mi), and still had plenty of pad life left. But the 97-03 Malibus were known to warp rotors if they were driven aggressively.

In short, If I were to do the breaks on my Mercury today, I would use the Duralast ceramics again.

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS ~89,000mi, Willow Green inside and out. It's very green.
1998 Chevrolet Malibu Base V6 187,000mi (sold)
BigMerc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:34   #8 (permalink)

I bought the best rotors and pads that Autozone had to offer and after 4 months my 1996 P71 Crown Vic developed the front shimmy again. I think the rotors were from China and I know they were not crossdrilled rotors. Be careful what you buy. Good luck.
jeririah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:40   #9 (permalink)

You would be able to buy quality parts from rockauto with the discount this forum offers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71