RAd leak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 16:40   #1 (permalink)

RAd leak

My 1989 Grand marquis wagon I chand the rad in the summer with a used one I had that was used for 6 months. It's now leaking they make these rads like crap with the plastic on the sides. Thats when they all leak and thats where this one is leaking. Has anyone yous rad stop leaks? I have never used it but I am not going to pay more money on the car My wife is mad and hate its.
Reman
reman519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2006, 20:32   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: RAd leak

I wouldn't advise stop leak, and I wouldn't put in a used radiator either.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:07   #3 (permalink)

I agree - that stop leak stuff seems to rarely work (though you'll have people swearing by it), and it makes a heck of a mess of the cooling system.

I also agree with the radiator - you're not doing yourself any favours with a used rad. As you are realizing, you are doing the job a second time. Rads with plastic tanks have been around for many years, and they generally last as long as your traditional radiator with metal tanks. You've likely picked up a used rad that had experienced similar service to yours, and was likely at the end of it's life when you put it in.

When I was quite young, and not much money to my name, I'd tinker with used parts. I did ok most of the time, but did get stung a couple of times. Now that I'm older, wiser, and have some money, I don't waste my time with the used stuff anymore. While my '85 Vic has more money in new parts on it than the entire vehicle is worth, I know I won't be doing those jobs a second time. I also know the vehicle will be reliable for a long while.
Lambykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:11   #4 (permalink)

You might want to check out a few facts. My 1985 Vic uses the all-steel radiator, and has provisions for mounting different sized radiators. Your 1989 is of the same chassis style. There's a big chance that the rads from an '85 will fit the '89 Vic. Research this to be absolutely sure. If they are of the same set-up (such as upper & lower rad hoses in correct location, and the transmission cooler lines in correct location), just buy a new rad for an '85 Vic. It'll be all-steel construction, and should be under $200.
Old 11-16-2006, 16:12   #5 (permalink)

I got a new rad at canadain tire they want 217 but the old rad I put in was out of may 1991 crown vic I found the bill and they gave me a new one lifetime but i did not tell them that the car is gone.
reman519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 21:20   #6 (permalink)

I wouldn't waste my time with Canadian Tire. You should be dealing with Napa, or Carquest, or someone similar. They offer better-quality parts, at prices that are generally more competitive.

I advertized my Crown Vic for sale a couple of weeks back because at the time I was considering purchasing a new car. Tonight I signed the papers on a new vehicle - I am only awaiting financial approval. I will need to get rid of my Crown Vic if everything goes as planned.

I believe you said you lived in Ontario at one point. My Vic has many new parts (I'm actually embarrassed to state how much I spent on it this year alone). Naturally an '85 Vic won't sell for much even if in pristine condition. Mine isn't pristine, but a reliable runner. What might interest you is mine has a rad that is only 1.5 years old, and is a quality rad that won't give you any hassles. I've also got two sets of tires - one set of winter tires driven only last winter (10000km), and a set of all-season tires (again, new in April this year). One set of tires alone is worth more than the car. If you want to buy my car, you'd be getting a good deal in tires, rad, and many more parts. Just an idea, because I really don't think anyone is going to buy this with the intention of keeping it on the road - too many people want something more glamourous. I'm replacing it because I'm at a point where I need something newer, and more fuel efficient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71