Radiator Fan Not Working After new intake manifold - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 18:03   #1 (permalink)

Radiator Fan Not Working After new intake manifold

Hey all,

I've been searching around the forum trying to find some info on my problem.

I have a 99 Vic with 190k on it. The intake manifold cracked and it was losing coolant. I had planned to use the aftermarket dorman kit, but my grandpa works at a ford dealer and got me a recall manifold for free. It matches up port wise so I know its the right series at least. I do not know what year the manifold is actually for. My original manifold had only one temp sensor connector in it. This one had two connectors. The temp gauge does work, though even after the car is off the gauge stays in place. I could have swore before they all zero out after the car is off.

Anyways, after replacing the manifold, giving it new plugs, thermostat, pcv valve, and addressing some other maintenance issues it fired right up on the first try. If I turn on the AC the radiator fan does come on at low speed. However, while on a test drive or even idling in the driveway, the temp needle will get quite close to H on the verge of overheating. The radiator fan never kicks in. Would the temp sensor difference on this manifold cause that?

I have not flushed and put new coolant in yet, its old and discolored from the leaks. If I am idling and the temp skyrockets I can turn on the AC for the low speed rad fan to kick in and the temp will decrease slowly. The radiator does get very hot, so I know the new thermostat is opening when the coolant heats up.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
James
Broken99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 21:10   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Radiator Fan Not Working After new intake manifold

The one for the fan is mounted in the left cylinder head, below the intake manifold. Maybe it got disconnected during the work.
Old 09-30-2010, 15:56   #3 (permalink)

I did double check that one, its still connected. The sensor on the new manifold was a different color, style and p/n than the old. I swapped the sensor from the old manifold and am going to take it for another test drive tonight.
Old 09-30-2010, 15:59   #4 (permalink)

The old sensor was grey, and the new one was green. Perhaps that was giving my temp gauge bogus info and the car never actually got that hot. Not sure though, as the fan never came on, and it did smell hot.
Old 09-30-2010, 22:09   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Let it set and idle and watch the gauge. The fan usually comes on a little over ½ way on the gauge. The hot smell may just be the new manifold and things that were touched when it was cold. Tel your grandpa that I need one too. LOL
Old 10-02-2010, 14:47   #6 (permalink)

Well I think it's all good. Flushed all the old garbage coolant out of the block and radiator. It was a disgusting brown. New 50/50 coolant. It was a little chilly today, took 20 minutes of idling in the driveway, but the fan did come on. Took it out for a 45 min drive with some stop and go, and some highway, and it was rock solid 1/2 way up the gauge for temp the whole time. Glad I didnt pay the stupid dealer 1300 dollars to do the manifold. It was a one weekend project for the manifold, and a few hours today to flush the coolant.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:36   #7 (permalink)

Seafoamed it last night too. Got some funny looks from the neighbors when I started it back up and took off with a huge white cloud of smoke behind me down the entire block.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:42   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

They probably thought you blew it up.
Old 10-23-2010, 16:41   #9 (permalink)

Just curious, did you put new intake manifold gaskets on? I think some of the new ones can be reused.
VonoreTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71