Radio Crackle/Static - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 08:26   #1 (permalink)

Radio Crackle/Static

2001 Merc Gr.Marq LS with 25,000 miles. The radio in FM mode (haven't tried AM) sometimes has an intermittent static problem which sounds like a loose antenna. Sometimes it works fine for a few minutes or longer and sometimes there is irregularly pulsating static noise that ruins the listening experience.
Has anyone else here tackled this problem? I guess the first place to look would be the antenna connection at the back of the radio,but I'm thinking this wouldn't work it's self loose.Maybe there is some other connection,or maybe it's a common problem caused by a bad design? thx-Brian
Happily this is it's only problem.
NoLeaks2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 09:05   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Radio Crackle/Static

Normally on other cars I've had with similar fault , was due to aerial (antenna ) / earthing / lead connection , rather than set . You could also try a noise filter.Best I can do to help , but when other members more qualified come onto forum , I'm sure you will get better advice .
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:21   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There are several connections. One on the radio itself, one just above the footwell area on the passengers side, and at the connections at the rear window. Some had an antenna amplifier under the rear package tray in the trunk.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:32   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys, that helps. Just tried the cassette and it's perfect so I'll start checking those connections.-Brian
Old 12-13-2010, 10:41   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

See on the 2005 models some changes were " Other changes included two new front crash severity sensors, a new steering column with a two-spoke steering wheel, and the addition of a mast antenna on the right quarter panel." Was this due to the problems with the rear window antenna ?
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:26   #6 (permalink)

Good point. I doubt that they would go to that trouble to re-engineer etc. just on a whim. Same with the vague steering that I have and the change to rack and pinion in '03.So that is another piece to the puzzle,thanks.
I just poked around and the only point that I can quickly access the anntenna cable is in the trunk heading up into the spot-welded structures above. I wiggled that with the radio on and didn't notice any static.
I know nothing about radios but I am wondering if there is an aftermarket antenna with maybe a built-in amp or something that could be mounted descretely. (If I can't locate a problem with the current set-up that is).Or maybe upgrade it to the mast version.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:08   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

They only used the mast antenna one year if I remember and they went back to the window again. As for the rack and pinion, the whole suspension was changed on them. If there's play in the steering, check for what could be loose. Even though there aren't many miles, something could have come up. It also may have a sensor problem in the speed sensitive steering system.
Old 01-18-2011, 00:38   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Bert.

As for the steering, I'm really disappointed to the point of wanting to sell it. It's just no fun at all. Basically it feels like pushing a barge along a canal with the bow of a small boat. You have to pay attention constantly, and on the open freeway your attention is consumed making little corrections to hopefully keep it in the lane.
I'm thinking maybe I will take it in for an alignment and ask them to inspect the system while they're at it. However the original tires looked pretty good when I had them replaced.
I now notice that one or two of the reviews for this model mentioned lousy steering characteristics. Maybe they are all like this?

Edit: Further info; I jacked up a front wheel and checked for play and there is none.
With both wheels down I can turn the steering wheel back and forth maybe 3 inches with a few pounds effort.
Is there a spec in the factory manualon acceptable play here? Three inches doesn't seem excessive to me really.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:30   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

3 inches of play is too much. There has to be a problem somewhere. The Police wouldn't have driven them if they drove like that. Imagine chasing someone over 100MPH? The alignment shop should find something.
Old 01-20-2011, 22:27   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Have you checked the play out or had an alignment shop check it over?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71