Rear Coil/over shocks on a MGM - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 20:58   #1 (permalink)

Rear Coil/over shocks on a MGM

Anyone try putting those coil/over shocks on the rear of a MGM? I don't have the air ride suspension, but notice when we start putting stuff in the trunk (on shopping days), it starts to sag a little. It's not like we put a lot of weight in there, that's what worries me. Don't know if the factory springs are bad, or just soft. The car only has 80k miles on it. I'd almost hate to see what it would look like with a couple of decent size adults in the back seat!

I put those coil/over shocks on my '77 LTD, and it really turned the handling/ride around on that car! I thought the ride would be really stiff, but surprisingly, it's not! The old shocks were really shot, as the passenger rear wheel was hoping, going down the road! I'm just worried if I put them on the MGM, then it might ride stiff. Our roads here are 'washboard', due to the weather, and when we had our Blazer, it would bounce us all over the place! One of the reasons why we sold it!

I would imagine that it would ride OK, as like I said, my LTD rode OK. If there wasn't so much salt on the road, I'd take my LTD out, and see how it rides on the washboard roads! Usually, come springtime, the road settles down, and isn't as bad.

Just wondering if anyone has done that to their car, and what the result was? I don't know what the P71's ride like, but I imagine stiffer than a 'regular' sedan.

Thanks,
John
2000GMLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 21:18   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Rear Coil/over shocks on a MGM

We've never put any overload springs on the Police cars.They have a heavier duty spring and if there's no load, it might be a little high. Mine was a Police car and has the heavy duty springs but it doesn't ride high in the rear. We tried different shocks on the K8 cars and found the white KYB shocks worked the best.
Old 02-10-2011, 20:17   #3 (permalink)

When I put them on my LTD, it did raise up the rear incrementally, but I also put new 'standard' shocks on the front, and that almost seemed to raise that up a hair, too. The price difference between the one's for my LTD, and the MGM, are vastly different! Even though they are the same manufacturer, I only paid like $85.00 for a pair of coil/overs for my LTD, whereas the MGM ones (same brand) cost $113.00! Don't know what's so different between the two pairs! That's why I'm asking the question, as I don't want to make a $113.00 mistake! I see that even new variable rate coil springs are cheaper, but when you add in the cost of new 'regular' shocks (as I'm sure SOMETHING will break on the old ones, getting them loose!), then it will be cheaper to get the coil/overs.

John
Old 02-10-2011, 21:08   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Some of our Police cars had 80k miles and the factory shocks were better than the new Gabriels and Monroes. That's why we went to KYBs.
Old 02-10-2011, 21:12   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Some of our Police cars had 80k miles and the factory shocks were better than the new Gabriels and Monroes. That's why we went to KYBs.
Is "KYB" a brand? Where do you get those at? Do they help with the sagging? How much are those?

John
Old 02-10-2011, 21:29   #6 (permalink)

OK, found the KYB website. Which model did you use? The GR2, or the "Gas-a-just"? After watching both videos, the gas a just actually shows a MGM, and also says that for heavier loads, and more aggressive driving, use those.

So, I'm assuming you mean the 'gas-a-just'? Where can you buy those at? I see that they are made by me, in Addison, IL. Maybe I'll call, and see where they sell them at.

I'm editing this, as I look closer in the product catalog, I see that there are two different part numbers, for the front, anyway. One is for police/taxi, the other is not. What is the difference between the two? One stiffer than the other? If so, which one should I get? For the rear, they are both the same part number.

John
Old 02-10-2011, 21:55   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

The GR2's are Original Ride Quality rated.

The Gas-a-Just are Increased Handling/Performance rated.

For the front I would go with the Gas a Just KYB Part # KG5572 $36 bucks at rockauto.com

For the rear, if your wanting to bring it up higher, about the only thing you can do is go coil overs or air shocks. I'd go coil overs as air shocks are prone to boot blow outs and air line leaks.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:51   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If it was mine, I'd get new rear coils and use the Gas-a-just in the front and rear. Here's some info on springs. http://www.p71interceptor.com/rearsprings/
Old 02-11-2011, 10:49   #9 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

Burt... is the suspension the same as the early aero bodies? if so, wouldnt the cargo coils work combined with f-150 shocks since stock type won't have the same travel? i know it lifts the rear some this way, but you wont have the sag in the rear and ride is still pretty good... i have done this before on a saggy rear to a 1989 Crown Vic that i did the body work to that you have seen me post about

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:56   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87_Crown_Vic View Post
Burt... is the suspension the same as the early aero bodies? if so, wouldnt the cargo coils work combined with f-150 shocks since stock type won't have the same travel? i know it lifts the rear some this way, but you wont have the sag in the rear and ride is still pretty good... i have done this before on a saggy rear to a 1989 Crown Vic that i did the body work to that you have seen me post about
They aren't quite the same. With our Police cars, they haul a lot of stuff in the trunk and want good handling too, so we found that's what works the best. We had one year, I don't remember which, that came with the wrong rear springs and when the equipment was loaded, the rear sagged. They replaced them under warranty.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71