Ford Forums banner

Rear Differential Seal Leaking - Help

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  NoLeaks2001 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Crown Vic LX the other day when I went to get out of the car I noticed a hot over heated type of smell. Then I took the wheel off and there was my answer a leaking aroung where the wheel mounts the guy looking at it told me it was a leaking seal. He also stated the new would be if you ignore it you will ruin the rear end on the vehicle. DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT? If so, what is involved in replacing this seal? This was on the right side. Then to a much lesser degree I noticed a simialr thing on the left side but much less of a leak.

I need some suggestions and typically what is the cost of this job at a middle of the road priced mechanic not a dealership cost. Please share your thoughts.

Is it just as simple as replacing the seal then add back the oil that leaked out?? What are some of the proper steps in this process??? THANKS FOR THE INPUT!!

#2 ·
The leak needs to be fixed. It can cause more problems if not. The axle may be worn causing the leak also. With the wheel off of the ground, lift up and down and if there's quite a bit of play, it'll need to be replaced. Wile doing the seals, the bearings should be done too. Here.s the instructions. You might be best off to have a reputable shop do it. Prices can vary depending on locations, so call around if you don't have a shop you've been using.
| Repair Guides | Rear Axle | Axle Assembly | AutoZone.com

#3 ·
He's right. Don't drive it at all unless you are just making a short trip AND
you have just checked the oil level in the differential and topped it off.
I've done that job on other vehicles and after looking at my Haynes manual it looks like you will have to remove the wheels,calipers,disks,Diff. cover,C-clips,axles and old seals. Put it all back together with new seals,gasket,oil. I do my own work so I couldn't guess about a shop price. $250??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.