rear stabalizer bar on Vicky - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 05:31   #1 (permalink)

Question rear stabalizer bar on Vicky

Excuse the spelling.Does a civilian 98Ford Crown Vicky have a rear stabilizer bar across the rear axle like the police ones do?Do they need replacement mounts and will the car handle better with one?Thanks.
larrchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 07:34   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: rear stabalizer bar on Vicky

I'm only familiar with the Police version so I don't know about the others. You can look underneath to see if it has one. They definitely handle better with them.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:59   #3 (permalink)

mad Re: rear stabalizer bar on Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
I'm only familiar with the Police version so I don't know about the others. You can look underneath to see if it has one. They definitely handle better with them.
Thanks Bert,just got my car back after putting another motor in it.Will check underneath.In the meantime I only drove it 45 miles and the air conditioning compressor went.This car is turning into a money pit!I've practically rebuilt it.The only thing left to fix is the rear end!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:20   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's too bad. I've been dealing with them for12 years abd they are one of the most troublefree cars I've ever dealt with. I know of a cab company in PA. that had a 95 with 630,000 miles that was starting to get weak. They also had several 98s with over 400,000. Hope things settle down for yours. I gues they should with ll you've done to it.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:06   #5 (permalink)

That stabilizer link you're referring to is called the watts link and it should have one in there with or without PI package. It's like a panhard bar in that it's meant to keep the axle centered under the car. The watts link however has a pivot point for two bars that mount from said pivot to the frame rails. The pivot point mounts to the axle housing and it does wear out allowing for your rear end to wash out on you while cornering. The lateral links also wear out their bushings which can make for sloppy corners. Check them occasionally and if you find you do need to replace links, shoot the fasteners from any angle you can with a good penetrating oil. The bolts at the axle mounts can be and usually are particularly difficult to remove.
no_common_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:02   #6 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

i think it would be best to go to a junkyard and find a stabilizer bar from a cop car to install in your civilian model car... the police parts are made to handle more abuse than a civilian model. they stiffen the cornering in the car and stuff and in most cases the polices stabilizer bars are thicker or solid instead of a weaker type used on some equipped civilian models... i plan on getting police stabilizers for front and rear for girlfriends 1992 Grand Marquis to help it handle cornering better the way she drives her car... her car has had 0 issues really except for plugs, wires, and fuel filter... her car has 322,xxx miles on it

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:16   #7 (permalink)

THanks to all.Will check when I get back from hospital in a week or two.
Larr
Old 07-30-2010, 18:25   #8 (permalink)

If you are talking about the anti-sway bar, yes I think your '98 should have a 17mm bar. it is thinner than the p71 bar, but I can tell you first hand it definitely makes a difference in the handaling. the end-links for it do wear out, but they are cheap and easy to replace. I've had mine out 3 times for various reasons and can probably change them in 5 min a side blindfolded.

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS ~89,000mi, Willow Green inside and out. It's very green.
1998 Chevrolet Malibu Base V6 187,000mi (sold)
BigMerc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:16   #9 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: rear stabalizer bar on Vicky

According to AllData it has one.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71