Rear View Mirror Woes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2006, 10:19   #1 (permalink)

Rear View Mirror Woes

Took my 2003 Gr. Maquis to the car wash. When it came out the rear view mirror was loose. Car wash will not take any course of action as it is my word against theirs. Anybody got a fix for this. It is now loose and jiggles when driving.

Thanks for any help I can get.
tecumseh_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2006, 16:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: Rear View Mirror Woes

Not sure, get a Haynes or Chilton's manual for the car, buuut..... I believe that most of the mirrors are fastened on by screws that you can access on the inside of the door. Look where the front part of the window glass meets the farthest forward point of the frame door (right where the mirror connects) and see if there is a plasket door trim piece covering it up. If so, remove the trim piece gently (possible it is the entire door trim piece, 4 or 5 screws and lift UP on the panel) and you should be able to access the screws holding the mirror to the door. If they won't tighten and hold, then the female threads on the mirror are stripped. Glue in the thread holes, and quickly tighten the screws again, using tape or some way of holding the mirror tight against the door. Or, go to the junkyard and buy another mirror for 10 bucks or so. Good luck!
greenmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:22   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the response greenmerc. Unfortunately you explained the mirror on the door. The mirror I am talking about is the one in the windshield. Thank you though for taking the time to answer. I hope someone else can use the information. Still looking for info on rear view mirror in windshield.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:45   #4 (permalink)

Sorry about that. When you said "car wash", I just couldn't imagine any other mirror getting lossened by a car wash. Well, how about this? If it is just loose between the metal base and the mirror itself, there should be an allen wrench hole on the bottom which tightens the mirror to the base. Tighten this and your done. But if the base itself is loose (take the mirror off using the allen wrench first to be sure) then with the mirror on and tightened, break the base loose of the glass as it will fall off anyway shortly, and then remove the mirror from the base again. Get a mirror glue kit at your auto parts store, follow the directions (especially on preparing the surfaces) and glue the base back on. Reassemble. Good luck.
greenmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:19   #5 (permalink)

Thank you greenmerc! Actually I had the inside and outsie of the car washed. The young guy must have been overzealous (or careless). I have since gone back to the car wash and they will get it fixed properly for me.

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-25-2006, 17:22   #6 (permalink)

I looked for set screws on the mirror. There are none to be found. I guess I will have to rely on the proper people to fix this. Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:49   #7 (permalink)

believe it or not, but when I was working on construction, I once knocked the rear view mirror down with my head in my friend's van. I told him not to worry and just glued it with Krazy Glue.

After that I ve been working there for another 8 months and mirror stayed there

Hope this will help,
2000LS
2000LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71