Recently bought a '96 Grand Marquis, got a couple of questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 12:49   #1 (permalink)

Recently bought a '96 Grand Marquis, got a couple of questions

I bought a 1996 Grand Marquis LS with about 75,500 miles on it less than two weeks ago. Rides like a dream. I bought it from a mechanic I really trust, he told me the car needed absolutely nothing. The guy who had it is 89 years old and his daughter took away his keys because he kept bumping into stuff. I ran the Carfax on it and the car was driven about 4,000 miles/year for the past four years.

So sure enough, on Saturday I go to start it up and it's cranking but not starting. Turns out it was a idle control valve (or something like that). My mechanic actually came to my home, picked up the car and fixed it on Sunday. I don't know that much about cars, I know a little on how to do basic maintainence, but nothing major.

So I guess my questions are:

1. What are your opinions on the '96 Grand Marquis? Are they good solid cars?

2. I'm still waiting to get the maintainence records from my mechanic, but is there anything I should watch out for on this car with the mileage it has on it now?

I've only been driving the car for a couple of weeks now, but I really like it. It has nice leather seats and a digital dash. It's like driving from a leather couch.

Thanks in advance...
Frank Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 14:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: Recently bought a '96 Grand Marquis, got a couple of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds
1. What are your opinions on the '96 Grand Marquis? Are they good solid cars?
Absolutely. Properly maintained, you've got at LEAST another 200,000 miles to go before it begins to show any significant wear, mechanically speaking. Obviously at that point, little things will start to fail as they do on any vehicle, but the Panther platform's drivetrain is VERY solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds
2. I'm still waiting to get the maintainence records from my mechanic, but is there anything I should watch out for on this car with the mileage it has on it now?
Biggest problem with the 4.6L V8 cars is the idle air control valve, but it sounds like you've already dealt with that. Other than that little detail, with 75,000 miles on it, it's barely broken in!

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2bbl Carbureted 351W V8, ported and polished E7TE heads, Edelbrock cam
AOD Transmission with B&M Shift Kit
3.55:1 Positraction Rear Axle
Visit My Car Domain Account Here Updated 1/27/07!
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:22   #3 (permalink)

There great cars my 1994 Grand Marquis has 349900 miles on smokes a little on startup but runs and drives like shes new
86TBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 21:55   #4 (permalink)
Road Tripper

Couldn't agree more, personally. I bought my '96 Marq LS about 3 years back, and only recently started having the usual problems. Turns out the old hag who owned it before me never took it in for recalls, and the dealer failed to bring up the doomed ball joints. Lesson learned.

Other than that, she's a dream come true. I put 75k miles on her since I bought her, and she still purrs like a kitten.
jonnyunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71