Repairing broken Lighting Control Unit - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 17:13   #1 (permalink)

Repairing broken Lighting Control Unit

Hello all,

First posting so this might not be the right forum.

I have a Mercury Grand Marquis 2005. The headlights will cut out randomly but the flash still works but not the brights. I found this page here which exactly describes my problem. I looked into replacing the lighting control unit and it will cost around $500. I found some on ebay for around $150 but they offer you a discount if you send in your old one. This leads me to conclude that they are actually repairing broken units. I have a soldering iron and wondered if anyone knew what parts needed to be fixed, if something other than soldering needs to be done or where I could find more information?
web_wierdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 21:29   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Repairing broken Lighting Control Unit

I don't have a picture but there's a relay that isn't soldered in very well. It has 6 pins. Open it up and get a jewelers magnifying glass and you'll probably see the poor solder. I dont have one to get a picture.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 18:20   #3 (permalink)

I had to buy a new one, since you cant find them in the junk yards - they go quick. After I bought a new one, I opened up the old one. This was from a 98 model, by 9 years later it had a bunch of corrosion inside of it from moisture and being under there where there are many temp changes. you can probably clean it and resolder most of the contacts and hopefully it will work. Other than this I paid 250 for a new one back then. As for the lights flashing on/off I had that problem. This was before I bought a new LCM, but what I did do one day was remove the front panel where the light switch is and the instrument panel and reconnected all this stuff again. Perhaps this solved the problem, cause the lights never flashed on/off again (intermittently). You may have some corrosion build up on all or one of those connectors. You do have to removed the radio first, then the moding, but you need both doors open also. hope this helps.
mercdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 19:11   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
I don't have a picture but there's a relay that isn't soldered in very well. It has 6 pins. Open it up and get a jewelers magnifying glass and you'll probably see the poor solder. I dont have one to get a picture.
Hi everyone!
I'm the one, who doing this repair )))
Problem is not in "bad soldering".
Solder become fried because of fried relay
and relay become stock and fried from overheating
and overheating came from.. bad design of circuit board.

Several cars got completely burned from this reason and many more ended up replacing entire dashboard, because they were keep driving with bad module and got wiring harness shorted inside dashboard.
ginolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 19:14   #5 (permalink)

I also replaced the relay in my LCM. It worked but then I decided to do a headlight wiring harness to bypass the LCM and also provide a full 12volts to the lights. No more problems with the lights what so ever.
new2me2003cvpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71