Replacing thermostat on 2001 Crown Vic (base model) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 18:27   #1 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

Replacing thermostat on 2001 Crown Vic (base model)

I understand the thermostat on this model has an "O" ring seal rather than the standard gasket on the water outlet? Does this require any special sealant in place of permatex gasket sealer? Also is the OEM thermostat 190 degrees or 195? I see both temps listed as OEM......

p.s. any other tips on removing the water intake (outlet) w/o damaging it?
prometheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2008, 19:37   #2 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

Re: Replacing thermostat on 2001 Crown Vic (base model)

Thanks for all the help! Yes it had an oring, sealant not required. Replacement oring (part # F2390 at Oreillys) leaked (to small) used old oring, no leaks. No traditional outlet/block (in this case plastic) gasket.....
Old 12-27-2008, 12:32   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Great you fixed it. I've taken the new O'rings and streched them to fit and installed it before they shrunk back. I've also used the old one as you did.

Where you live, either will work but maybe the 190 is better. No big deal though.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 14:26   #4 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

thanks for the after thought, thermostat is opening/closing fine. I had R&R'd and flushed the antifreeze, hoses, cap, air filter, but didn't change the the thermostat (lesson learned). I think the durolast therm I put in is 195 deg. (autozone) and it came w/a flat therm to outlet gasket but didn't trust it as the old one was an Oring, not flat...Happy New Year ya'all!
Old 12-27-2008, 14:52   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Yep, they use an o'ring. You did right. They should know that. I've used the old ones many times. Is ypur manifold plastic in front or aluminum? My 2000 still has the plastic with 151000 miles. Hoping it hangs in there.

Happy New Year to you too!!
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 15:18   #6 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

I've had my 01 since 9/06 and now has 87,500 mi. and has the plastic bolt housing. I was careful not to over torque thanks to the website. I'm kinda amazed that my post had 63 views and no responses.......would of been nice if someone had confirmed my suspicions before I went in (it's my only vehicle and no part store for at least 30 miles).....If it helps somebody else then I'm a happy camper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71