Ford Forums banner

Seems like a shifting problem possibly, need some help

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
Hey guys, need some help here. My car has started having problems when I am at a stop and I go to accelerate, it feels like the car has a problem shifting into gear... it revs for a second and then will go, it feels sorta like a stumble.... also this only happens when it is cold. once the car is at normal temp it does not happen at all. If anybody could help me out it would be greatly appreciated! =)

2003 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6L v8 P71

#3 ·
Hey guys, need some help here. My car has started having problems when I am at a stop and I go to accelerate, it feels like the car has a problem shifting into gear... it revs for a second and then will go, it feels sorta like a stumble.... also this only happens when it is cold. once the car is at normal temp it does not happen at all. If anybody could help me out it would be greatly appreciated! =)

2003 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6L v8 P71
:hit:Hello and good day:

what about the shift module. I believe it operates the shift solenoids. If fact, I'm sure it does. did you replace that? Probably should have. Some have a vacuum feed and some are all electric. I'd change that out. Be sure to check for any wire chaffing too. Make sure nothing is grounding out that shouldn't

The 2-3 upshift soleoid is located on an assembly called the 'valve body', which is located inside the transmission.

Thankfully, it can be reached by draining the transmission oil and removing the transmission oil pan. The transmission does not have to be removed from the car.

However, unless you can get your hands on a service manual and are pretty handy with tools, you should probably leave this to the professionals.

BTW, if you want to do more research about this, the transmission is called a Ford 4R70W.
(the shift solenoids are the squarish things on the upper left)

Read more: Where is the electronic solenoid for 2-3 upshift located on a 1998 police Crown Vic transmission? Thanks to anybody that can help. | Answerbag Where is the electronic solenoid for 2-3 upshift located on a 1998 police Crown Vic transmission? Thanks to anybody that can help. | Answerbag

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.