Several problems with GM CP wagon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 20:09   #1 (permalink)
Wagon guy

confused Several problems with GM CP wagon

I just bought a nice '91 GM Colony Park GS wagon, with 88K miles. Very nice car, but I think the seller was less than upfront with me on the car...go figure, right? Three things in three days have occurred with my wagon:

1) The air bag light comes on, then goes out, followed by a chime that goes one five times, pauses, and continues on until it decides to turn itself off. This is a random, and annoying, occurrence!

2) The odometer quit this afternoon. The speedo and the trip odo still work fine.

3) The wipers park in the full "up" position. This started last night. I have to manually put the wipers in their normal position by standing outside the car, turning the wipers off while the wipers are down, then move them by hand to their proper "rest" position.

Little things that just irritate the hell out of me! Any ideas on a real fix on any or all of these problems???
patrick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 20:57   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Several problems with GM CP wagon

Does the air bag light flash out a code?

For the odometer, it most likely needs the gears repaired. You can get them here and read the instrucions there too. Odometer Gears - Mercury - Grand Marquis 90-97

The wiper motor park: Parking Test

The ignition switch must be in RUN for all tests. Verify proper operation of wiper system in LOW. With system operating in LOW, turn wiper system switch to OFF when wiper blades are in vertical (straight-up) position. Wipers should complete cycle and depress park (below windshield). If the wiper blades do not park, refer to appropriate bulleted condition of system below and test and service as indicated.

Motor stops when wiper switch is turned to OFF. (Does not complete cycle.)

1. Remove motor park switch connector and check for battery voltage on Circuit 65 (dark green). If battery voltage is not present, service circuit as required. If voltage is present, go to Step 2.

2. Check ground wiring at switch connector for ground. Service as required. If ground is OK, go to Step 3.

3. With both wiper motor connectors disconnected, use an ohmmeter to verify continuity (less than one ohm) between Circuits 28 and 56 in the wiring harness. If continuity is not present, trace and service as required. If continuity is OK, leave connectors disconnected and go to Step 4.

4. Check for continuity to ground terminal on gear cover at circuit terminal 28 on wiper motor. If open, replace motor. If ground is present, leave connectors disconnected and go to Step 5.

5. Verify continuity (less than one ohm resistance) between Circuits 61 and 63 in the wiring harness. If continuity is not present, trace and service as required. If lack of continuity is traced to interval governor, check wiper switch for continuity between terminals P and G. Replace switch if continuity is not present between terminals P and G. If continuity is present between terminals P and G on wiper switch, and lack of continuity has been traced to interval governor, replace governor. If continuity between Circuits 61 and 63 is OK, leave connectors disconnected and go to Step 6.

6. Check for continuity between circuit terminals 63 and 65 on wiper motor. If open, replace motor.
Old 03-22-2012, 21:04   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

More info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiper.jpg (86.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-23-2012, 18:33   #4 (permalink)
Wagon guy

Thanks. Sounds like a fun weekend ahead for me. Yay.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:55   #5 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

when wipers act like that.. i just replace the motor for them... glad i carry my own spare parts for our big boxy cars

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 17:44   #6 (permalink)
Wagon guy

Did a check on the air bag light and counted the flashes. It flashes five times, pauses, five times, pauses, five times...you get the idea. Plus, there is not a trouble code 55 listed for the '91 cars in the airbag troubleshooting codes.

Anyone have an idea?
Old 03-31-2012, 23:05   #7 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

from what i have seen by a few that have redone these cars with the airbags... the placement of the front sensors causes them to rust out and making the car flash codes... might wanna try to locate the sensors in the front after disabling the car from power...

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:41   #8 (permalink)
Wagon guy

OK, thanks. Sounds perfectly reasonable on this Florida car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71