smell of gas and stalling - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 19:51   #1 (permalink)
Holden Lover

Question smell of gas and stalling

Ive read a bunch of posts here to try to find out the problem, but no one's so far describes exactly how my car is acting.

first off its a 2000 crown victoria 4.6L

I noticed during cold weather it would stall unless i gave it a little gas to keep teh rpm's up. I figured it just took a lil while to warm up that V8.

Im not sure if this is is related but i noticed after some time it started trying to stall out while i am stopping. Not so much stopping, but it would feel as if the idle would be too low when i was slowing down, but it wouldnt actually stall out untill i started to give it more gas.

My friends started tellign me that it smells like gas in the backseat, and i started noticing it upfront too..

Now the car stalls most of the time and i have to hold the gas down a bit to prevent that, this sucks in stop and go traffic as you can imagine.

I think the smell of gas might be related because it all started happening at the same time, and untill these 2 problems started occuring i havent had trouble with it.

I thought it could be the IAC or the throttle position senser. But i dont see how the throttle position got messed with in the first place. and im not sure how the possible gas leak coudl tie into those ?

When this first started gettign bad, i changed the air filter, oil, oil filter and thought they could be related to the rough idle/stalling.

I can keep it from stalling a lot of the times but it will rock forward as if its not gettign spark from the engine or if there is not enough fuel getting through.

Also one day when it was idling roughly ( without stalling) after i started it, i got out and checked the engine to see what was going on. The 3 belts infront of the engine were not going as fast and at a constant revolution liek they should be.. i watched it for a few minutes then all of a sudden the engine started acting normal and they started spinning MUCH faster like they should be.

I am trying to avoid takign it to a shop, id rather replace the parts myself or have someone help me to save cash so if any of you know what this could be please help me out.

thank you
NICKtheQUICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2005, 22:31   #2 (permalink)

Re: smell of gas and stalling

The stalling problem sounds like the IAC, As for the TP senser i would not worry about that because the car is not old enough for it to cause any stalling problems but I would buy a casper throttle enhancer for it. For the gas leak i can not really help you out there.
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 16:11   #3 (permalink)
That guy

You have a bad gas filter, $10-$15 yor call will run like new. Its either passenger side right under the rear door, or driver side same place. A simple 1/4 socket and wreck take the holder off and a 3/8 fuel line remover take it apart (best to buy the hole plastic set for a few extra bucks). When the fuel filter gets old it backs the fuel pump up and cause gas vapors to leak out the vents and will cause stalling and low RPMs plus kills your MPG. Another thing is to replace those O2 sensors. Look up ROMTRADE on ebay, about $40 each for good borg-warners, needs 4.

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 16:05   #4 (permalink)
Holden Lover

thanks for the replies, im gonna get it tested tomorrow hopefully its the gas filter that would go easier on my wallet
NICKtheQUICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71