So I'm picking up a 'new' 1997 Grand Marquis.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 08:30   #1 (permalink)

So I'm picking up a 'new' 1997 Grand Marquis....

It's NICE, a LS with a moon and digital dash, one owner, super clean, 80k miles, dealer maintained. My 5th Panther!

I already own a 97 G.M., so I'm familiar with them. The real beauty is, as I need parts for the 'old' (164k miles and getting worn) car I can put them for the 'new' one, change them, and install the used parts on the 'old' one :)

This 'new' car is so nice, I'm planning on giving it a thorough once over. It is after all 12 years old. So here's my question (s): What do you suggest I do?

What I'm already considering: Wires/coil packs/plugs. I'm thinking mid to good quality wires (suggestions?), good quality coil packs (Accel?), and the Bosch +4 platinums I'm already using in the old car.

I'll get a decent air filter (suggestions?). I also need a IAC on the old car so I'll replace the one on the new car. Anything else under the hood?

Suspension: I've been very happy using Moog rear cargo coils and KYB Gas-A-Just shocks all the way around. I'm way open to suggestions on the shocks. New stabilizer pins for the back. Is it difficult to install new sway bar bushings on the back? Anything else while I'm back there?

How hard is it to install new sway bar bushings on the front? Is it worth it? Anything else on the suspension? I know, it's a lot of questions :)

Brakes as needed. I've learned it's not worth buying cheap rotors, and the cheap pads tend to squeak. Any comments on any particular brands of rotors/pads?

I was thinking a tranny backflush as well, and I'll change the differential oil.

The old one needs universals too. I was thinking of getting the aluminum shaft and installing it into the new car.

If you can't tell, I'm wide open to suggestions. This one is so clean I hope to keep it nice for years. All input much appreciated!

Pete
Piece-it Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 12:58   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: So I'm picking up a 'new' 1997 Grand Marquis....

Spark plugs and coil pack sounds like a good idea. I've used the Autolite dual platinums and had good results too.

Under the hood, The serpentine belt if it hasn't been changed.

The KYB shocks seem to be a great addition. The Energy Suspension makes bushings for sway bars.

If you want performance brakes, try to get police car pads and rotors.

Trans flush is a VERY good idea. Make sure you put the right fluid in. There is a plug on the covertor that you can drain. When you do, it takes about 11.5 qts. The latest bulletin says to use Mercon V.

Others will have further suggestions. My experience is in repair and maintenance of the Panthers. Sounds like a great car. Keep us informed on what you get done and how it performs.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 21:19   #3 (permalink)

Only thing I can reccomend beyond what rtg did is to check the ball joints, both uper and lower. The Marqs and Vic are both known for loose upper ball joints, so I'd check those first, and replace if necessary. (Cheap and easy to replace.) The lowers are about the same, and I belive there was a recall on those for some models, and years, but I can't remember exactly which ones.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:09   #4 (permalink)

Well I counted the chickens. :(

I thought business was still on a handshake but it was sold out from under me. To add insult to injury, my SO proceeded to buy a PT Cruiser!

Still, I'm going to put some money into my 'old' 1997.

I've already bought new headlights as mine are mighty foggy. I did do the polishing compound with a power buffer, but they are still fogged on the inside!

I also have to change the oil pan. Has the beancounter at Ford that spec'd the cheap metal been shot yet, or do I get a crack at him? :)

And I'll do the tranny service and read end too.

Anyone have anything else? I've done most routine things (front end, suspension, brakes, tune up, all 4 window regulators grr). I will do the front brake lines soon.

Thanks!

Pete
Piece-it Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:32   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That all sounds good to me.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71