So these things are pretty decent cars? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 21:59   #1 (permalink)

So these things are pretty decent cars?

Hi. I love my 91 Camaro but with all the work I've done it's getting harder and harder to come to terms with the fact that it's my daily driver. I want to compliment it with something a bit more practical, reliable, and comfortable. I'm looking to spend around 10 grand. I've noticed from browsing craigslist etc that the bang for your buck with these Grand Marquis' seems to good to be true. There is simply no other sedan out there such that 10 grand will get you something 3-4 years old with 30,000 miles or less. What's the catch? Is it simply the outdated design that turns people off and drives the prices down? It seems to me, just from looking and reading online, that the M.G.M. is a brick shit house that won't thrill but will run forever and be easy to work on when it does need it. Is this the case? What are the major issues? I've read some unintentional acceleration horror stories online....that a big issue with the throttle-by-wire setup? Or a rare exception? I know it might be a bit baised here seeing as it's a Ford forum. I don't care about gas mileage. I do all my own work. I want to have this car for many years. I want to feel confident when I drive this car across the country. I love the classic 6 seat, RWD, body on frame, live rear axle design. I've also looked at the Town Car, but it seems to me it might not be worth the extra money that they are going for over the M.G.M.

Any advice for a 22 yr old guy thinking about making a 2005 or newer M.G.M. his first car purchase since the $1500 first car milestone?
andrew61987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 14:35   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: So these things are pretty decent cars?

If money isn't too much of a problem, I'd go with the Town Car. You get more goodies for the extra cost, standard air suspension (hard to find option on a used MGM). As a good, straight forward everyday runner, you'd be content with the MGM, and it should be less on insurance. If you wanted to go downright cheap for a good, solid runner, check out any local police auctions for a ford crown vic. Vinyl rear seats can come in handy on those bar nights! So, yeah, all in all, it comes down to personal preference.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 21:16   #3 (permalink)

I love my 99 Grand Marquis and have had very little problems and solid performance out of the thing for the past 2.5 years. I bought it with 67k miles and am coming close to 150k now and it is still running strong. Short of some EGR/DPFE problems, it's been a VERY solid car. The ride is smooth, the HP is good, and the fuel mileage is around 26, though that's almost all freeway. All in all, it's been the best purchase I have made. While you may be driving an "old lady" car, it will beat the pants off of most ricers out there since it pulls nearly 300 ft/lbs of torque.
Old 08-07-2009, 00:03   #4 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

i personally like the 1986-1991 Crown Vic and Grand Marquis due to the easier to work on 5.0L... the thing i dont like on the 4.6L is the coil stuff over the plugs that can develop misfire situations. then again, a newer car for you would probably be better. find some better rear gears for better accelerating, throw on dual exhaust, and try to find othre things to help it at junkyard like sway bars that are bigger to help handling. i myself dont like air ride since when it breaks down, it is an expensive fix. i like throwing wagn springs in the back to raise the rear some to help when hauling lotsa stuff or if you add a hitch.

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 16:39   #5 (permalink)

I'd recommend a Grand Marquis or a Crown Vic. They are large cars and I have been in two wrecks that could of really been worse if it wasnt for the size of the car. I feel safe in them, though no car is bullet proof. The engine is okay and it will move, especially with dual exhaust. I kinda hoped for a larger engine since the car is somewhat heavier, buts its a good trade off, then again who really need to be accelerating to 110 mph right a way all the time? The car will quickly go to 80 out of the blue. I'd pass on the air suspension -- costly when it breaks down and the automatic air control is nice too but costly when it breaks. Its really hard to get in there and remove/replace parts. A plus is that they are rear wheel drive, better to handle in situations.
Hope this gives you some insite.
art
mercdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:55   #6 (permalink)

I have to agree, the Grand Marquis and Crown Vic are two of the best bargains on the car market today and they are reliable, easy to find parts for, comfortable, and big! That's why I'm going to check out a Crown Vic for myself tonight after work!!!
leftoverture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71