Solenoid location and question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2005, 11:28   #1 (permalink)

Solenoid location and question

My car won't start, won't crank at all. The radio comes on and so do the lights. I went to the parts store and they said that a 92 Crown Victoria doesn't have a starter mounted solenoid... uh what? Is that true? Are they just trying to get me to buy a new starter? Is the starter the problem anyway? What's the jive here?

Jason
protonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2005, 11:52   #2 (permalink)
That guy

Re: Solenoid location and question

I think they went with those mini starters. There twice the price for 1/2 the more power. A good bosch is about $70 or $80. They tend to last longer but not much longer.

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:15   #3 (permalink)

I think he's asking about the solenoid itself... but I could be wrong.

The solenoid should be mounted in the engine compartment on the passenger side fender. It's a little white cylinder with 4-8 wires on it. To test it, turn the key to "ON" and use a screwdriver WITH A RUBBER HANDLE to connect the two poles on the solenoid. If sparks fly and the car starts, your solenoid is the problem. I want to say I paid less than $20 last time mine went out. You could also beat the Hell out of it with a screwdriver and see if that frees it up, but once it freezes the first time, you only have a matter of days before it locks up for all eternity.

If you don't get a lot of spark, there's something between the battery, relays, and the solenoid. If it sparks a lot but the car doesn't start, it's between the solenoid and starter (and could be wires). If it's not trying to turn over at all, I'd bet on the solenoid (you might be hearing loud clicking when trying- that's tell-tale of a frozen solenoid).

Hope that helps.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 13:05   #4 (permalink)

Nope, no clicking. Usually, when it goes out after banging on the starter, there is a sound like it is about to start and then stops. Nothing. Isn't there a starter mounted Selonoid?

Jason
Old 10-10-2005, 13:25   #5 (permalink)

GM mounted their solenoids to the starters, which meant that if the solenoid went out, the entire starter had to be replaced. Ford mounts them separately, so that if one goes out, the individual is not stuck paying for both.

If you get some kind of action after banging on the starter, then I'd say that's your best bet. Pull it and take it to a parts store- most test starters... I know my local O'Reilly does, if you have one in your area.

My Garage
Old 10-10-2005, 15:14   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips everyone. I talked to someone and he said it was definitely the starter brushes. Found a starter that I can afford and will be fixing the bastard in a few days. I sware this car hates me...

Jason
Old 10-10-2005, 16:26   #7 (permalink)

Mine hates me, too- don't worry. Eventually, it gets where it just puts up with you.

Let us know how the repair goes.

My Garage
Old 10-10-2005, 18:23   #8 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

Hey Man, I got a 92 and first you check the connections on the starter and battery, make sure that they are tight. Not finger tight , but, wrench tight.If these are OK, then go ahead and buy the starter. The 92 has the selenoid built it to it. If you car was built in late 91 or the first six months of 92, then you will have a 2 bolt starter. If it was built after the first run it , it has a 3 bolt starter because they had trouble with the 2 bolt ones breaking. The 3 bolt ones are about $80 at autozone for a lifetime gaurantee. I replaced mine about 4 years back. I was having the exact same problem as you about 1 month ago but it turned out to be a bad connection. Good Luck
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 19:02   #9 (permalink)

They didn't keep the remote solenoid on the 4.6? I worked on a Continental the other day that had a solenoid on the fender... what's up with that?

My Garage
Old 10-10-2005, 20:27   #10 (permalink)
That guy

I swear Ford is turning into GMC!! If they merg like SBC and Ameritech I'm out a here :D !

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71