Someone told me something and was right! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2005, 20:47   #1 (permalink)
Crownvic

Someone told me something and was right!

I picked up a mystery ignition module from the wreckers. I'm not sure if it's a duraspark II because it looks like an aftermarket box. Anyways, two connectors fit and one doesn't match. I guess it doesn't need it because the car runs awesome. The computer is unplugged and all the emissions is removed. I'm not sure what my mileage is yet, but I think it's well above the usual 12 mpg. I think today I was around 20 in and out of the city. The carburator is still a mystery box. I picked it up from the wreckers and threw it one and was sort of amazed it works as well as it does from the place I bought it from that doesn't seem to have anything that works. Anyways, yeah, someone said change it to duraspark II and they were right. I light the tires up something awful now, but only if there's a little moisture on the ground. :-) Next spring: new intake and carb.
CrownVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2005, 07:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: Someone told me something and was right!

I believe that was GrandMarquisGT, ending the "pissing match" of another forum member and I randomly tossing ideas to each other.

For intake and carb, I'd recommend a Weiand Stealth intake and Edelbrock 600. Don't waste your time with a Holley- they require too much tuning. Slap on an Edelbrock and you'll be done with it.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 17:16   #3 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

agree with the EDELBROCK idea, they are inexpensive and are plug and go. I have one on my '69 Chevy truck and am very pleased with its performance and have had it for about 8 years with no trouble.
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 20:07   #4 (permalink)
Crownvic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmeat
I believe that was GrandMarquisGT, ending the "pissing match" of another forum member and I randomly tossing ideas to each other.

For intake and carb, I'd recommend a Weiand Stealth intake and Edelbrock 600. Don't waste your time with a Holley- they require too much tuning. Slap on an Edelbrock and you'll be done with it.
Yeah it was him. I guess I'll ask him the questions. Anyways I was looking at an edelbrock air gap intake, or a weiand stealth. I have a 600 in the box in my garage needing to be used. Until then I'm using a duraspark II and a motocraft 2 bbl carb. Pretty damn fast.
CrownVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 21:46   #5 (permalink)

Check the power ranges on the different manifolds. The Edelbrock 600 would work better with an Edelbrock intake generally, but the Stealth has a lower power range (idle-6500) and would cover your entire band. However, the Air Gap would provide better rolling power- it all depends on what you want.

Do you want off-the-line torque (Stealth)? Or do you want more power when you're already moving (Air Gap)?

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71