Ford Forums banner

Spark plug flew out!! WTF!!

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
So I started my 99 Crown VIC PI yesterday, there was a popping sound, smoke and then knocking. (As I later found out the knocking was because...-->) Once I got under the hood, the spark plug was laying on the exhaust manifold and the C.O.P. was broke. The spark plug will not tighten in the hole. What the F**K?!? Surely the threads couldn't just "go bad" all of the sudden. Please help! Thanks.

#3 ·
This is what should be put in to repair it. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Time-Sert-Triton-Spark-Insert-51459/dp/B003SFWGME[/ame]

That happens when the plugs are put in a little overtorqued and when the aluminum expands, it pulls the threads. The proper torque is very imprtant.

#4 ·
#8 ·
I had a 1999 CV. The heads and spark plugs on that car only had half (4) the usual number (8) of threads. As Bert said, it is very important not to overtorque these plugs since the threads in the head are easily stripped. Ford cured this in later years by changing the heads to 8 threads.

A good independent shop can also do the repair and probably save you some bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.