Spark plug removal issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-16, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Spark plug removal issue

I've removed spark plugs 2-8 on my 2004 Crown Victoria PI, spark plug 1 I can't seem to get my socket around and so I took a picture down into the well to see if there was anything blocking it. This is what I saw, I've tried getting it out with magnet stick and compressed air but I don't even know what it is. Hoping someone else can help me out here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-16, 01:43 PM

Re: Spark plug removal issue

that looks like broken pieces of a socket wench. Try using a dental pick.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-16, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

I got it out after a while with wire and air compressor. This is the first time I have done a compression test and I ran into some more questions.

I unplugged ignition coils as well as fuel injectors but when I went to test compression it sprayed gas out of a couple spark plug wells on side 5-8, I think it was specifically from cylinder 5 and 6, while side 1-4 didn't spray at all.

I am doing this because my brother said my exhaust smells like coolant and I got a misfire reading on cylinder 5 that same day. Checked oil cap and see small amount of milky residue so guessing gasket leaking coolant, but this issue confuses me. I am sure I am just doing something wrong.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-16, 04:28 PM

milky residue don't mean jack on your oil cap. Normal condensation. If you smell gas spraying out your cylinder you don't have a coolant leak. You have to test farther. Those
cylinders could have been flooded from the time you started your test.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-16, 02:49 AM
Moderators

If coil on #5 plug knackered and not firing that will cause your misfire . There will be unburnt fuel in cyl . if that's the case , as suggested by Chipset .If you get it running and still suspect emulsified oil on cap is excessive and exhaust smelling of coolant , carry out a block test . A lot of people see what is normal condensation , some engines worse than others . and jump to the wrong conclusion .

Never, never, never give up.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-16, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks guys, so an update after last night when when I had fuel spraying from cylinder #5 which had misfired. I was getting readings of between 30-60psi and inconsistent in all cylinders which I was freaking out over a little bit, but today I re-seated the gauge on the compression tester and warmed the engine up and now compression show as follow from #1 to #8, 160, 170, 165, 160, 165, 170, 165, 170.

No fuel spraying, must have all gotten out last night. had fire extinguisher handy just in case
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-16, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

So check to make sure coil is good and do a block test. I will try those.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-16, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

By the way, how do I check to make sure coil is good or bad?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-16, 01:20 PM
Moderators

Easy way is to swap coils and see if cylinder misfire moves to that cyl .

Never, never, never give up.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-16, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Ok lol thats a good idea. just visually inspecting the coils I can see it looks like the coil wire inside #5 is damaged.

Also realized there are 3 different brands of ignition coils being used, are coils something that should all be the exact same model or does it not matter as long as it's compatible for the car?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71