speed sensitive steering problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 17:20   #1 (permalink)

speed sensitive steering problem

My 99 Grand marquis has 'heavy-low pressure' steering at all speeds. I just learned it has speed sensitive steering. Is there a common failure I can look for? I have read if the electrics fail the system defaults to full pressure? I could live with that. What is EVO? Thanks for any ideas, Bob
redstangbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 20:36   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: speed sensitive steering problem

This is the wiring diagram for the system. I don't know about any common failures. Maybe the sensor is a problem. What do you mean by 'heavy-low pressure' steering at all speeds?

EVO is Electronic variable orifice (EVO) actuator
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 20:38   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Forgot the diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering.jpg (142.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-13-2009, 03:47   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the diagram. I mean the steering pressure seems low, and too much effort is needed to steer the car at all times. If it were a large truck I would think I had a stiff king pin. I was wondering if pumps failed alot, or is the actuator a common problem. Do you know about the default going to full pressure if, say the plug was pulled from the pump?
Old 08-13-2009, 14:41   #5 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

Yes, default is full assist. Try unplugging the EVO valve connector just above the oil filter. It swivels on the PS pump fitting.
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 16:56   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Steve that was where I was going next. I've read the 'sticky' above on changing steer pumps. If pulling the connector makes no change, I guess that's my next move. Thanks for the help Guys, Bob.
Old 08-19-2009, 17:42   #7 (permalink)

After pulling the EVO connector and getting no change I swapped out pumps today. The rebuilt pump had an oily box, but the counterman assured me it was not a returned pump. While driving I feel the car has better steering pressure, but as I pulled into the lot to return my core I had no pressure! Reservoir is full, and I'm sure I got the air out. Damn It!! I can get another pump tomorrow from another location, but I was thinking of going with the 'fleet-taxi-police' pump that has no EVO port. Any thoughts? Thanks, Bob
Old 08-19-2009, 17:55   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'd stay with the EVO pump. Will the first parts store give you your money back? Maybe they'll give you another pump that hasn't been used.
Old 08-19-2009, 18:24   #9 (permalink)

Oh sure, the pump is warrantied. I'd just have to pull it and take it to another store (A-Zone) for a replacement. Why stay with the EVO? Is there a pressure difference? I would prefer higher than lower.
Old 08-19-2009, 21:16   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

When it's working it really is better. Here's a little information mentioning GM but all EVOs work the same. Steering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71