Speedometer Gear Replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 18:22   #1 (permalink)

Speedometer Gear Replacement

In the process of putting back the original ring and pinion gears on my 03 P71. The second owner thought that a Ford Facing 4:10 rear would be preferred over the 3.27 that came in it. After driving both, I really prefer the 3.27 for freeway driving, that I do to get to work. My speedometer is way lower than my speed, by as much as 15 mph when I get up to 60. I have to get the speedometer gear in the tranny back to factory specs. I need to know the number of teeth on the OEM speedometer gear in the transmission. There is another tooth number as well, I think its on the drive gear, a 7 or 8 and I have no ideas which it is either. I've searched all over but have had no luck finding it. Anybody done this swap and remember?
2003 CVPI Oxford White, with Push Bar; Tint; K&N; SCT Chip; 75mm TB; Accufab High Flow Plenum; Accell Super Spark COP's; Cobra R water pump; LPW Diff girdle; Art Carr High Volume Tranny Pan, Ford (4:10 former) now 3.27 Gears.
NilesW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 19:10   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Speedometer Gear Replacement

There's no gear in these newer cars. You'll need to get something like this as far as I know. Speed Cal
Old 12-30-2010, 06:06   #3 (permalink)

Who had the 4.10 gears installed, had the speedometer changed to keep it right on the money. Maybe they did a chip flash, but the car didn't come with the 4.10s and I verified the speedometer was dead on with them. If it had been ignored, when I put the gears back to factory, the speedometer would be right. It isn't. Now I'm curious.
2003 CVPI Oxford White, with Push Bar; Tint; K&N; SCT Chip; 75mm TB; Accufab High Flow Plenum; Accell Super Spark COP's; Cobra R water pump; LPW Diff girdle; Art Carr High Volume Tranny Pan, Ford (4:10 former) now 3.27 Gears.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:49   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There may be a program for the ECU but I'm not familiar with it. If you find the answer, post back so we know what it was.
Old 12-30-2010, 18:39   #5 (permalink)

Apparently, the SCT Chip that was installed recalibrates the speedometer. The local Ford dealer said they could possibly reset the computer back to the factory setting, and might over ride the SCT chip. If the chip wasn't there and the computer was the original from the factory, they definitely could reprogram the ECU to original settings.

I'm thinking my best bet may be to go the speed shop that installed the chip and see if they can reprogram it, to include the speedometer.
Old 12-30-2010, 19:42   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Sounds like a good idea. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71