Starter Removal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 12:37   #1 (permalink)

Starter Removal

Has anyone had to remove the exhaust manifold to get the starter off? I tried to get the starter off myself and had the bottom bolt lose. On the bolt above the solenoid, I had a 6 point socket attached to a swivel and 2 extentions and then a 1/2" breaker bar coming out from under the exhaust manifold. I pulled until the breaker bar started to bend and could tell I would snap the bolt if I went any harder. Well it's going to need a torch so I put it back together and took it to a local tire store mechanic. After an hour and a half he gave it back to me and said he could not break the bolt lose and could not even see the top bolt. He said the top bolt was most likely as tight as the middle bolt and he could'nt get a torch on them. He said the exhaust manifold and or the motor mount would have to come off. So I got an appointment with another mechanic Monday for an estimate. Has anyone else had these problems? I also wonder if a Ford dealer be better at this?
jeririah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 12:47   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Starter Removal

Is it a 1992-2009? The top bolt usually is out of the rust zone. It probably would be best to take it to the dealer if they are reputable. They know what's the best way. Just tell them you need it replaced and don't mention using a torch.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:58   #3 (permalink)

Whoops, yes it is a 1996 ex-cop car. Yeah I thought about the dealer but it is 30 miles away and I have no one to give me a ride home if the car needs to stay overnight. That's why I tried another local shop. I won't mention anything about a torch. Thanks, I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-14-2010, 14:22   #4 (permalink)

Hello I got my car back $300.00 later. The mechanic had called and said they had to take off the AC compressor and whether I wanted a new belt installed. I said yes and the bill also stated they had to use a torch on the bell housing and tap out a bolt hole. Makes me wonder if they snapped off one of the bolts. Anyway I'm glad it's done but now my air conditioning is not cold anymore. I'm going to put some leak detector in it and see if the seals at the compressor are bad since it got moved around.
Old 07-14-2010, 20:54   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Is the compressor coming on? Maybe they forgot to plug the compressor in. If it comes on and cycles fast, then you'll know it's low. Also, maybe flexing it around they messed something up. Too bad you're not closer, you could tell the to see if they did something to cause that.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71