Starting, power problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 16:01   #1 (permalink)

Starting, power problems

I might as well become a lifetime member at this forum with the amount of weird things this old girl has thrown at me, but you've all been incredibly helpful so here is another problem that came out of the blue.

2004 CVPI

Got up this morning at 3am, rained all night long, got in the car and turned her over. Starter rolled and rolled and rolled, but no fire. Figured I'd give her a few seconds, counted to 15 then roll roll roll roll all over again. No juice. Got out opened the hood, obviously barely conscious anyway and having no light I couldnt diagnose anything so I jumped BACK in her and turned her over and she fired RIGHT up. But there was a SLIGHT chirp... Rolled her down the road a bit and had the radio on so I could wake up, hit a common bump on my street and blam, radio shut off and car died... I put her in park, and started her right up again, no issues starting this time. Rolled her 6 miles longer and took a left turn, and she died on me through the intersection (thank god it was 3am). Parked her, started her right back up. Got to work safely after that, no more issues. At 9am went out to lunch and had no issues starting, drove her to my favorite burrito joint and as I climbed up the ramp into the parking lot she killed again. Started up just fine and I went on my way AGAIN.

I thought, maybe a loose wire on the negative side, I did hit a few bumps and maybe it jarred it enough to lose contact. But all the way BACK home everything was fine, didnt turn on the radio, but everything was fine. Got her home, checked the cables and they are wrenched on fine, popped em off then back on again to make sure. Pulled out the Voltmeter, Battery is at 12.4v normal range. When the car is on Alternator pushed 14.1, hoped for a 14.4 but again I felt that was in normal range.

I havent a clue what was going on, this is the first time the issue has presented itself.

To sum it up, starter turns, engine wont come on. Then starts but has a slight chirp shortly after she turns over. Then when driving randomly stalls and turns off (this isnt the type of stall I've ever felt before, Ive felt shudders and kicks on other cars, but this just glided as if I turned the key off)

One thing after the other :D
Kithrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 16:31   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Starting, power problems

There must be a loose connection somewhere. When it's running, tug, pull and bang around under the hood and under the dash to see if you can pinpoint the location. Even wiggle the fuses. We had a car that gave us fits like that and we finally foumd a loose fuse. Someone had installed something with a clip on a fuse which spread the connection where the one end of the fuse went in. When they sold the car and removed the clip, the fuse was loose in the spread out connector.

It wouldn't hurt to see if there are any codes present.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 17:59   #3 (permalink)

bang around under the hood and under the dash to see if you can pinpoint the location.

Well that actually worked... lol. But I cant pinpoint the problem just yet. Banged on the fuse box under the hood and boom, stall. In fact the light on the hood also flickered when I banged on her. But I cant find loose fuses. You are definitely onto something however I don't know what it is yet. In FACT banging around the dash lit up a few lights I thought were dead
Old 09-13-2009, 18:22   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There's a wire that comes from the battery and bolts to the side of the fuse box on the engine side. Slide a little plastic piece up and chac the connection there. There's also relays in the box that could be bad. Tap the relays lightly one at a time.
Old 09-13-2009, 18:27   #5 (permalink)

It was the B+ connected to the fuse box... the nut holding it down was loose so the cable was jumping with the car and thus breaking the positive connection. Thanks a lot :D. Now when I thump her the engine doesnt stall, but the light does flicker a little on the hood. Thanks! The final test will be tomorrow morning I guess.

Should that light even flicker when I thump it (the fuse box)? Or is there still a loose connection?
Old 09-13-2009, 18:34   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That light turns on with a mercury switch. if the hood closes a little bit it goes off. Bumping it probably wiggles the mercury switch enough to flicker the light. Try tapping the hood or the light itself.
Old 09-13-2009, 18:36   #7 (permalink)

As always you guys are lots of help. The only people keeping me sane after buying this car Hopefully it takes more than a month for the next problem to come up heheh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71