Strange 92 GM problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 19:30   #1 (permalink)

Strange 92 GM problem

HI, i just bought from my father a 1992 grand Marquis. It is in great shape, except for a problem with the mas air sensor. My engine is the 4.6 soch motor.

WHen i took possesion of it, the check engine light was on. I asked pops why and he said becuase of a problem with the mas air flow sensor. He opens the hood, to show me that it was disconnected. The car was running fine with it disconnected, which i thought was odd considering how important that thing is. So he turned the car off, popped the maf connector back on, and the check engine light went off. Now this is were the stuff gets interesting. I took it for a drive with it connected, and everytime i stoped it would sputter and then die. If i kept my foot on the gas it would stay on, going down the road was fine, but if i stopped it would die. This is all happening with the maf connected as it should be. Strangly with the maf connected, when it is about to die, there is no check engine light on??

So i pulled into a parking lot, turned off the car, unplugged the maf. Turned it back on and drove it home, with nary a problem. No sputtering, no dieing. Where as before, with it plugged in, it would sputter and die unless i held the brake down with one foot and on the gas with the other.(while at stoplights that is)

So what is causing this odd problem? Dad says i need to replace the maf sensor, which i can get pretty affordably. Is there anything else i need to check?

I just replaced the alternator, the water pump, powerstearing pump and stearing gear, belt tensioner, and tie rods. He has put in a new transmission, seals on the rear axel(rear axel service).

Off topic, who makes a good cold air intake for my engine? I think its the same motor as the mustangs before the 3v switch right? If the mustang one wont work, which should i use. Also my ford mechanic friend, says i need to get underdrive gears when im ready to do performance work on it. Any suggestions on those as well??
Kframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 19:38   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Strange 92 GM problem

The MAF sensor needs replacing. You could try cleaning it with MAF cleaner but it probably will need replacing.
Old 03-31-2012, 19:50   #3 (permalink)

Thanks bert, thats what i thought, and will be replaceing it. Thank you very much..
Old 03-31-2012, 20:24   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Keep us posted.
Old 04-06-2012, 16:25   #5 (permalink)

Ok, The mas air sensor on the car right now is not original, but a no name reman. I dont have the original numbers. Napa says, that delphi has a sensor for me for $154, and that they dont need the numbers for it. Should i go ahead and get the Delphi, its a new manufacture unit?
Old 04-06-2012, 17:59   #6 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

am i wrong or is that the part in the air intake tube that has the screen protecting a wire that is used to detect the incoming air? if so, couldnt a junkyard MAF work also possibly from newer panther platform in place of spending so much? all you should have to do is look to make sure the wire is intact within the screen and find out how to test resistance and stuff of the part with an ohm meter... sorry... i am trying to learn more on the 4.6L since i know mostly about the 5.0L

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 17:59   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Check our sponsor Rock Auto. They give our memgers 5% off and their prices are low. jwko could tell you the code for the discount.
Old 04-06-2012, 18:30   #8 (permalink)

Whats there website?
Old 04-06-2012, 18:37   #9 (permalink)

Ok i went to Rock autos website, and i think there is a problem. I went on there catalog and looked up my car. 1992 GM with the 4.6 soch. Under Air/fuel it does not mention a Mas air sensor, but instead lists a Manifold pressure sensor. Clearly when i look under my hood i see a mass air sensor, so what gives on that??
Old 04-06-2012, 18:51   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Look under "Emission".
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71