Strange Noise - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 08:15   #1 (permalink)

Strange Noise

2000 Grand Marquis LS 4.6 v8 132k miles....the other night while slowing down to stop at a red light, my car began making a loud humming/buzzing type of sound(almost like a loud refrigerator compressor) somewhere under the hood. I could feel the vibration in the brake pedal and dash board. My wife said it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side, but it felt to me like it was on the driver side. Did this for approximately 10-15 seconds and then stopped right before the light turned green. I was in the middle of traffic so I couldn't get out and inspect it, and of course it wouldn't do it again the entire ride home. The car did not seem to run any different while the noise was there and all my guages remained normal. This car does have the check engine light on because I need an o2 sensor and a new cat. on the passenger side but this noise didn't seem to me as if it would be related to those issues. I had just bumped the steering wheel a little to the left when the noise stopped...not sure if that had something to do with it or not. Anyone else have similar issues?
00Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 08:24   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Strange Noise

Sure it was an engine noise ? Wasn't ABS kicking in for some reason ? or a front wheel bearing , though it should be there all the time if bearing knackered .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:40   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

A good code reader can tell you if there was a problem in the ABS. You should find out if there are any other codes besides the O2 sensor too.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:04   #4 (permalink)

Actually, the abs and traction control lights are on...definitely wasn't a wheel bearing. I had autozone, advance auto parts, and pep boys scan the CEL and they all said I needed the upstream o2 sensor and the cat. was bad. Never had the abs light checked(didn't know you could). The brakes on the car feel fine and she rides like a dream. What would cause the abs light to be on? And IF it is the abs that was making the noise, is there anything I should worry about? I drive my 3 month old daughter around in this car all day long so I need it to be safe.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:57   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Could be faulty ABS sensor or sensor wiring . Can also get light on if sensor has dirt / dust /s*** on it , cutting down air gap .
Old 11-14-2011, 10:52   #6 (permalink)

The previous owner changed the wheel bearings...is there a chance he could have not hooked the abs sensors back up correctly, or at all? I've never really had to deal with abs issues so this is new to me. Thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 11:20   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

Yes , certainly worth a check at wiring / connections .
Old 11-14-2011, 12:41   #8 (permalink)

Would a bad wire or connection at the sensor cause the noise I described? I'd go out and check them right now but its pouring down rain.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:45   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

More likely to cure the the abs and traction control lights / vibration at pedal .
Old 11-14-2011, 13:07   #10 (permalink)

The vibration at the pedal was only present while the humming/buzzing noise was present...didn't feel like a brake vibration, but more like a cell phone type of vibration which was felt throughout the car. It continued while stopped at the red light and the car wasn't in motion. When the noise stopped, so did the vibration. Think of the sound/vibration the electric fan makes..now imagine that amplified by 5. Thats about the best description I can give. It didn't seem like the car was going to die or anything but it was loud and sounded like something electronic. I haven't been able to get it to repeat the noise as of yet, and its only done it that one time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71