Sway bar question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Insurance Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 12:17   #1 (permalink)

Sway bar question

Hey all- I have the chance to get front and rears off an 03 Marauder and am looking to put on my 97 MGM.
The rear will work, I've read, but can't find any definitive info on the front.
Will it bolt in place on the MGM or not?
I think the set up is different.
Thanks again.
WillMarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 12:52   #2 (permalink)

Re: Sway bar question

Alright- I may be answering my own question here after all.
After looking at Addco aftermarket site I see that the part numbers are different for the front bar after '02.

FULL SIZE (RWD) INCLUDING GRAND MARQUIS
FRONT BAR REAR BAR
03-10 Stock# 2196 1 1/4″ #650 1″
91.5-02 Stock# 509 1 1/4″ #650 1″
Old 11-19-2012, 18:36   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The chassis was completely revamped in 2003 on the Crown Vics and Grand Marquis so not much would interchange
Old 11-20-2012, 13:24   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Bert....Yeah I was able to find out that the rear will but the front won't.
Old 01-23-2015, 23:14   #5 (permalink)
Proud 97(.5) GM GS Owner

How did that affect the handling? Did it get squirrelly with a heavier duty sway bar in the back only, or was it a clear improvement. (Inquiring minds want to know; especially this owner of a 97 GM GS.)
Volando Bajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:57   #6 (permalink)
Respect is earned.

i would say that the improvements were very clear cut. The addition of the handling package on the 03 sports was welcome by most. This car is big and bulky and hard to pin to the road due to extreme body weight which added to body roll. you didnt need the sport to get the rear air suspension and added daul exhaust with the sway bar set up front and rear. that package was available with the addition of the towing pack. Marauder set up was different with bigger sway bars. I do believe the shocks had different valving and were capable of a sportier ride. bert could probably tell you if i am correct. I believe he is an actual tech.
birdmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:12   #7 (permalink)
Proud 97(.5) GM GS Owner

I am concerned that it seems that the retrofit to the 97 will only work for the rear, and I don't want to beef up the rear and leave the front either without a sway bar, or with a smaller, unmatched one.

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket bolton heavy duty front sway bar?

I once threw a set of sway bars on a carburetted 76 VW Rabbit with a tuned mainjet and exhaust set up, and with the sway bars, I could tailgate some pretty expensive and powerful sports cars in the mountains in Vermont, given the handling and the little extra bit of power. Made it a real sleeper on winding roads...so I would not be surprised to see a considerable improvement in the GM's handling, which isn't bad now for such a big car. Even at the point of breakaway, it is responsive to braking and the throttle, and not prone to suddenly want to do a full 180. Kind of funny, though, testing the cornering limits on a two ton car.

I will say that loading up a full sized steel wheel spare, a heavy toolbox and a full sized floor jack and jack stands in the trunk, made a significant difference in the handling in the snow last week. I probably have an extra 200 to 300 lbs. over the rear axle, and the rear end has a solid feel in corners, rather than the kind of balloony, ready to change directions kind of feel it had when the trunk was empty. Not as good as a sway bar and/or trac-lock, but beats spinning (either the wheels or the body) in the snow.
Volando Bajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 15:46   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

My experience with sway bars is they have to be carefully matched or else the car will either understeer (push) or oversteer (loose). I wouldn't stray too far from factory specs. Sometimes it's just a matter of driver preference, but can be dangerous in wet or emergency conditions. (Volando, I know what you mean, I miss my GTI !) Snow, what snow???
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 16:31   #9 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajarider View Post
Snow, what snow???
There's about a foot of it out my door, want some?
Old 02-03-2015, 05:24   #10 (permalink)
Moderators

Thanks anyways Cat, but wait 'til it melts and send us the water!
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71