Thinking about buying a crown vic. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2005, 20:41   #1 (permalink)

Thinking about buying a crown vic.

I'm new here, but i need some advise.
I'm thinking about buying a crown vic or a grand marquis probably 98-03. possible a used cop car.
I have a few questions about them.
-Are there any major common problems? Ex. trans, burn oil, ect.
-What kinda horsepower do they have? Do cop cars have more?
-Do they all come w/ the same kind of engine, trans, and rearends?
- Anything else you have to say about them?

Thanks,
-James
diplomat1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2005, 23:21   #2 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

Re: Thinking about buying a crown vic.

How long do you have, cause thats alot of info?
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:13   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoder
How long do you have, cause thats alot of info?
I know its alot. I have some time. I'm just doing alittle research to make an educated buy. Really anything you guys have to say about them would be nice.
Old 12-01-2005, 19:48   #4 (permalink)

Cop cars usually have 327 or 355 geared rearends,dual exhaust,and heaver springs and a 130 amp alternator,140 mph speedo,heavier wiring , and the computer is just alittle different along with a few minor differences in the sway bars and such.The civilian models generally have the 273 or 308 gear. The Merc is a little higher on the scale as far as options and creature comforts.The motors are the same on the Crown Vics and Merc and the Cop cars as well, the computers is where the difference lies in the performance of the different models.The HP ratings are 225 and 239 depending on the model. One thing to remember is if it came with factory duals then it is the 239 HP engine (generally)in the Merc and Civilian CV. The Cop cars are all 239 HP.The Trannies are ALL the same .That's it, except for a few minor things that don't really matter , depending on whether you want to be lathered in luxury(Merc) or just very comfortable(CV). This should get you to the point of purchase and after that..... thats when the mods come into play.... and thats a whole other ballgame. Hope this helps!!! Happy Hunting !!!
Old 12-02-2005, 21:04   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, that is VERY helpful. Thanks alot.
Old 02-21-2006, 13:16   #6 (permalink)

Hey Ryoder,
I am a new-b here too but I have a questions. You said that the main differences are the computers. Does this mean that if I buy a product that will change the computer settings then I can get an easier HP upgrade? I have a 2003 Dodge Quad Cab and a 2004 Durango, both with the Hemi and I got the computer programer and what a difference that makes. Think it will do the same? I need to get a dual exhaust too, the single has been bugging me!!

By the way 2004 Crown LX
JamCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 23:01   #7 (permalink)

If you get the programer then you can set all the different settings according to what you are wanting to do with your CV,however,it would be cheaper to go get a P71 computer from your local junk yard. The P71(cop car) has higher rpm shift points and there are some differences in the rev limiter,also the top speed limiter is set at a higher rate.Depending on your type of programer ,you can do all of that and adjust your timing curve,air / fuel ratio,shift points and possibly eliminate the top speed limiter altogether. Now, about those HEMI's, if you got 2 catalytic converters then you can get real dual exhaust,but if you don't ,then you can get the Cat-Back system which is better that the stock single pipes,but,not quite as good as the duals all the way out the back.All this allows the engine to breath easier and perform better,plus it sounds muuuch better. Happy Hunting,keep us posted!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 06:59   #8 (permalink)
Unregistered

Thanks Ryoder,
I will have to look into the computer. Here in NJ there are a ton of wrecked Police cars. This should not be a complicated mission. As far as the duals go on the CV, I will look around and see what kind of deals I can get. I don't really care too much about true duals, maybe just a split afetr the cat. That is what I did with the Ram and the Durango, and they sound so sweet!! I may wait until next winter to do anything but it all depends if I get the bug to do it or not.
Old 03-04-2006, 20:37   #9 (permalink)

Another new-b here. I just purchased an '05 CV and got it home today. Since it has only 16,000 on it (yup it was a rental) it still is covered by Ford factory warranty.

Ryoder...would you wait till the warranty was up before changing the chip or doing any other HP up-grades?

This car is really a great car to drive.....

Mike...
'05 vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71