timing chain on Grand Marquis - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 10:16   #1 (permalink)

timing chain on Grand Marquis

I know that I can get some help from the experienced and knowledgable people who post on this site. I have 1995 Grand Marquis, which I purchased new, it has 151.000 miles. I maintain this vehicle exactly as the manual. Recently it developed a noise. My mechanic after listening to it told me that it might be the timing chain. I received a call a day later telling me I could pick the car up. The mechanic told me that he went online and was able to get everything realigned and that the car was now quiet and running well. He told me that he didn't know if it would last 3 months, 6 months or a year and that I might want to think about either getting a new car or replacing the timing chain. I do not feel that I am in a position being a retired senior to purchase a new car . Should I purchase a rebuilt engine or have the timing chain replaced? I do not now have any problems, but I don't know how long this will last.
jacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2007, 12:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: timing chain on Grand Marquis

A new engine just because of the timing components??? Hell no. First, what exactly did he repair because I'm not quite understanding?

'99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor
-Completed full PI swap
-Marauder Airbox & 80mm MAF
-'04 CVPI Ziptube
-ADTR ported plenum
-Steeda Intake Spacer
-BOC tune
-J-Mod tranny
dryelf327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 21:21   #3 (permalink)

The timing chain is a relatively easy fix, assuming that's the problem. I'd get a second opinion. Do you trust this guy?
joeveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:15   #4 (permalink)

joeveto,
thanks for responding. I definitely trust this guy. The car is now quiet and I don't anticipate any problem, at least, I hope not. I really don't know how to get a second opinion now since the car is quiet.
jacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:26   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmed
joeveto,
thanks for responding. I definitely trust this guy. The car is now quiet and I don't anticipate any problem, at least, I hope not. I really don't know how to get a second opinion now since the car is quiet.
If the issues come up again I would take it to a Linc/Mercury dealer and get their opinion.In the long run you will come out ahead.Thats just IMHP.

I would start asking around other Linc/Mercury owners who they use for their service.I would also ask which service advisor they use at the dealer as that can make a major difference on your service.It does down here in South Florida.
MIAMI-DADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 21:36   #6 (permalink)
The SVT Vic driver

No way he should of even brought up a new engine unless he's trying to make money or there is something more serious than a timing chain.

Judging by what I see here, I'd suggest not going back to that guy. Going to a dealer is a good idea. My father works for an independent dealer and yeah, you do pay more because everything costs them more. Ford charges a lot for their parts and a lot of the time it's worth the difference. And the technicians will know how to fix it right and find anything else that may need attention.
Old 10-09-2007, 19:40   #7 (permalink)
rvguy

I think that the water pump should be done at the same time as the chain.
Not cheap, but necessary at that mileage.
rvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71