Too much road feedback?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 09:26   #1 (permalink)

Too much road feedback??

Hello all,
I recently purchased a 2003 Grand Marquis LS. I love the car, it only has 60,000 miles because I purchased it from an older couple and it was their church car.
I put new tires on all four corners, new brakes on all four corners, had it 4 wheel aligned and it drives ALMOST perfect.
When driving at almost any speed but especially at highway speeds, any bump in the road makes the steering wheel move. On a pretty bumpy road, the steering wheel is constantly moving. Once I get past the bumps, the steering wheel doesnt move at all. On the new section on interstate not far from my house, if you where to close your eyes (I dont!) you would almost think you where sitting still it is so smooth.
I am assuming something in the front end but everything seems tight by rocking the tires back and forth, up and down.
Any experience or thoughts on this would be greatly aprpeciated. Thanks everybody and enjoy the weekend!!
Langus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 10:20   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Too much road feedback??

Hello Langus:

With such low mileage, the "front end" should not be worn, but check your idler arm for wear. The alignment shop should have checked before they did the alignment, but it doesn't hurt to be sure. They are easy to replace. The idler arm connects to the frame on two studs, passenger side, and then to the tie rod. Mine seem to be the first thing to wear in the steering linkage.

The next thing to check, while you are still under the car, would be tie rod ends. Worn tie rod ends are a little more difficult to check visually. You should jack the car up (always use jack stands, do not trust your life to a penny seal in a jack!) to take the weight off the front wheels, then check the rubber grease seals for integrity and the tie rods for excessive play. I would, however, be surprised to find the tie rods worn excessively with such low mileage, unless the car has often been driven often on dirt roads.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:10   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

And as Bajarider mentioned, they all should have been checked with the alignment.
Old 10-03-2011, 18:48   #4 (permalink)

If I can get home in enough time tomorrow night, I will jack the car up again and take a look at those parts. thanks for the help and I will post my findings...
Langus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71