top end speed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2004, 15:11   #1 (permalink)

top end speed

Hey guys wondering if anybody could be of assistance..just got my new 2003 interceptor.it was bought it may 2003 but just got put into service..my new car shuts off at 130 mph..i can tell it had more rpms but apparently it has a speed control module that limits it to 130..i have neard that if you unplug the fuse labeled SCM it will not limit your top speed..however will it still prevent the motor from over-revving and blowing up..i pulled the plastic cone out of the intake and got an extra 2 mph on top end..i just turned in a 2001 that would run 138..i will say the 2003 tops out much faster..any help would be greatly appreciated...
trooperguy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2004, 20:03   #2 (permalink)

Re: top end speed

well I dont know if that will take the limiter off, I always thought you had to reprogram your ECU

But if it were removed and the RPM limiter were defeated you would not "blow up the engine" if you revved it too high in a big V8 like that you would float the valves, and the engine would not rev higher and produce little/no power and you would not gain speed any more past that point

correct me if im wrong
T_Juggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 21:37   #3 (permalink)

There are other factors used to determine a safe top speed: Tires and driveshaft/axle combination are common restrictors. The only way to "officially" remove the speed limiter is by modifying the PCM (with a chip). Just don't say you weren't warned about the effects when something horrible happens later on.
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 20:15   #4 (permalink)

forgot about tires, you really dont want to go much faster than the ratings on the tires, if they blowout at 130mph you are in trouble
T_Juggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71