Top Speed on a GM? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 15:26   #1 (permalink)

Top Speed on a GM?

Anyone know what the top speed is supposed to be on a '00 GM? I just sprayed some throttle body cleaner in, and took it for a drive, to blow out the crap. I had it up to 85, and it felt rock-solid, especially for a 'conventional' steering car! This thing almost feels like the '05 Mustang V-6 I used to own! And, that one was rack and pinion! Anyway, after turning around, I decided to 'go for it', and got the digital dash up to 111 mph! I could have kept going, but my town was coming up fast, and I had to slow down! For once, there were NO cars on the road, or I wouldn't have been so stupid! Sometimes cops do patrol by me, so any car coming at you could be one! Didn't want to risk going to jail!

I was really happy to see that the car doesn't get 'squirrelly' going over small bumps at high speed! I had my 'Stang up to 105 once, on the same road, but when I hit the same bump, that didn't affect the GM at all, broke the back end loose on the 'Stang, and scared me! I just don't like driving those short wheelbase cars, with tight suspensions, fast down the road! I'd rather have something like this GM, where it might be a little mushy on the curves, but at least it has SUSPENSION TRAVEL, and can soak up little bumps, and not break loose at high speeds! Like I said, I was really impressed with the steering. At 111, there was NO play! Sometimes, I want to have just a little play in the wheel, but this car acted like it was on rails at high speed! I now know why cops like these so much!

I know the P71's have 140 mph speedo's on them, but has anyone 'topped' out a digital dash speedo? Just curious what it goes up to!

John
2000GMLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 17:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: Top Speed on a GM?

I took my 2001 LS on a desert road at day break,not a car for 1/4 mile of me last week and it cut out at exactly 104 and I assumed it was electronically limited to this point. I've seen other posts saying they are limited to about this speed. I wonder way yours wasn't.
NoLeaks2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 20:11   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLeaks2001 View Post
I took my 2001 LS on a desert road at day break,not a car for 1/4 mile of me last week and it cut out at exactly 104 and I assumed it was electronically limited to this point. I've seen other posts saying they are limited to about this speed. I wonder way yours wasn't.
In the glove box, was a 'code translator' booklet from Superchips, explaining all the different codes, and what they mean. It was from a micro max tuner, but that was the ONLY thing in there, no other instructions, or tuner itself! If someone did put a tune in it, they should have left the tuner, as all it's worth is a glorified scan tool! I do know that once you put a tune in, you have to take it back out, to put in another vehicle.

So, from your statement, I can concur that the 'tune' must still be in the car, hence the no 'shut off' feature! Or, can someone just take off the speed limiter, and still use the tuner?

My V-10 Ford van use to have a fuel shut off at 102 mph (100 actually, my speedo is off), and since I had a chip installed, that does not happen anymore. I only tried that once, just to see!

John
Old 02-06-2011, 20:13   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
In the glove box, was a 'code translator' booklet from Superchips, explaining all the different codes, and what they mean. It was from a micro max tuner, but that was the ONLY thing in there, no other instructions, or tuner itself! If someone did put a tune in it, they should have left the tuner, as all it's worth now is a glorified scan tool! I do know that once you put a tune in, you have to take it back out, to put in another vehicle.

So, from your statement, I can concur that the 'tune' must still be in the car, hence the no 'shut off' feature! Or, can someone just take off the speed limiter, and still use the tuner?

My V-10 Ford van use to have a fuel shut off at 102 mph (100 actually, my speedo is off), and since I had a chip installed, that does not happen anymore. I only tried that once, just to see!

John
Old 02-06-2011, 23:03   #5 (permalink)

Hmmm. I just remembered that my speedo reads a tad high so I guess 104 on the speedo is 100 real speed. Interesting about the possible mods your car has. I don't know anything about these though and traffic across the desert rarely flows at more than 80-85 MPH so I'm OK with being limited to 100.
NoLeaks2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:30   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmmm. I just remembered that my speedo reads a tad high so I guess 104 on the speedo is 100 real speed. Interesting about the possible mods your car has. I don't know anything about these though and traffic across the desert rarely flows at more than 80-85 MPH so I'm OK with being limited to 100.
I learned about these tuners, by watching my Spike TV shows every sat/sun. Powerblock. I've watched them religiously for years. Anyway, I was investigating tuners to use in my two Mustang V-6's I had, and I called one of them up. To my surprise, I was told that they only work for ONE car! So, even though I had 2 identical cars, I could NOT use one tuner for both! I would have to buy 2 tuners! I told them that I could prove that I in fact own both cars, they didn't care! I can understand their concern, because if you could do multiple cars, then their sales would be way down, because a bunch of guys would go together, buy one tuner, and do all their cars! But, at the same time, I'm sure they could have arranged it so I could use the one tuner for both cars! Anyway, because of that, I did NOT buy a tuner! That was one of those 'future' projects, that never happened!

Back around 10 years ago, I used to take a bunch of back roads to get to work. These roads barely had a few farms on them, and there was only a few places where I could get that old van up to speed on! That's where I found out my van had a shut off feature, as I was late to work one day, and didn't pay attention to the speedo! I have since calmed down, and having a CDL (I'm a truck driver), can't risk a 'reckless driving' charge on my license, which an excessive speeding ticket would be classified under!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71