Ford Forums banner

Towing a GM on a trailer, questions?

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
I have an 01 GM sitting down at my in-laws condo. It's sat for almost 2 years now. I'm hoping to throw a battery in it and get it to fire up. If not I'll winch it onto the trailer.

Where are the tie down points on a Ford/Merc of this vintage? I'm used to towing a Vette and that has inserts in the side rails for t-hooks. Would the Merc also have these? I looked in the shop manual I have and it just says attach to a major frame member. That's not really helpful. Any specific points that are proven and easy to connect either a t-hook or just the standard clip end of a tie-down?

Anyone want to put odds on whether it'll start up with a new battery after almost 2 years?

#2 ·
There are plenty of points on the frame to connect to. Nothing is noted anywhere. As for starting, if the gas has been in there and the car setting in the sun, the gas will be bad and possibly siezed the fuel pump. Open the gas cap and see what the gas smells like. If like turpentine, you may have to change the pump, filter and drain the tank.

#3 ·
Thanks Bert. I'll have a small jack with me to lift it and get a look for a good place. On the Chevy it's just a standard so no guess work or connection to random points.

It's sitting under cover but not enclosed. Yes with gas but my FIL did add stabilizer back then if he remembered since it used to sit for months without starting. He never had problems. Now it's been almost 2 years though. I'll let you know if it actually fires up. Once I get it home I'll get it squared away. I got my daughter an identical one a year ago. So I've got a clue about them but really haven't had to do much to hers. Oil/filter, new tires, and drive it. hers also sat for several months before I got it. For some reason 01 GMs seem to land in my lap dirt cheap... If I find a 3rd one it'll be my commuter car. I like those old boats. :)

#5 ·
Well I got the car up here at the house. So yes the fuel pump died a horrible death from the gas sitting. It wouldn't start. Had to get a tow truck to come move it and push it onto my open trailer. That big boy is just a tad heavier than my Z06... Getting closer to the limit of my Silverado. Nice flat land towing so not too bad. I found some good attachment points on the frame and had no problem tying it down.

After I got home I dropped it off at my friends shop. I didn't feel like messing with gas tank stuff. He dropped the tank, emptied, replaced fuel pump, filter, and cleaned up everything he could. I did put a new battery in it also. Started right up and has been running for a couple of weeks now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.