Traction Control Light stays on - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 12:56   #1 (permalink)
Junior Herb

Traction Control Light stays on

The light came on the dash today('99 grand marquis). I had to turn the car off and back on to get it to turn off.

When it was on the car engine light came on for a split second while I was racing the engine to see if that would get it to turn off. It was idling strangely too but after I shut the car off and back on everything was fine.

Will it come back?

I read it could be Throttle Position Sensor going bad..
ToxicAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 13:06   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Traction Control Light stays on

The only thing you can do is wait and see. I don't remember what year it is but if 85 or bewer, see if there are any codes.
Old 06-20-2010, 13:16   #3 (permalink)
Junior Herb

I just checked and there are no codes.

Would a bad Throttle Position Sensor cause these symptoms?
Old 06-20-2010, 14:28   #4 (permalink)
Junior Herb

I went ahead and bought another Throttle Position Sensor and put it on.. Its not in a hard place to put it on yourself and not expensive..

We'll see if that works.

I can't have this happening to me at high speeds again.. It felt like it was ripping my tranny apart when slowing down with traction stuck on.
Old 06-20-2010, 14:48   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-20-2010, 18:04   #6 (permalink)
Junior Herb

When changing the sensor I notice the AC is draining water all over everything underneath the car... transmission, muffler pipes etc

That can't be right...
Old 06-20-2010, 19:18   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The drain is in a position that let's the water drain a little toward the passengers side and usually does drain on things. It also could have something in the end of the drain that's diverting it and without seeing it I'm not sure if it would be normal in your case.
Old 06-23-2010, 18:17   #8 (permalink)
Junior Herb

oh well.. it came on again. I was braking for a turn and it came on. The check engine flashed quickly(which caught my eye) that's when I notice the traction light came on. Still no codes. I don't know if this is something but I can hear the transmission whine through my radio(playing tapes). It just started this.. dunno if that's anything thought I'd just throw it out there. Oh, also there is a lot of heat coming from under the car too.. more than usual, so much so you don't want to stand near it for too long. I assume it was the hot weather but now I don't know.

Could it be my rear-end? I was doing a lot of stop and go driving in the city before this happen. When I got home I crawled under the car to touch the rear-axle and it was too hot to touch.. super hot!

But I don't know if that's normal or not for rear-ends to be hot like that. I did change the fluid when I first got the car less than a year ago with royal purple fluid. I do have a little leak, nothing to be overly concern about.. probably a drip a day.
Old 06-23-2010, 18:45   #9 (permalink)
Junior Herb

I'm thinking about returning the TPS and getting the rear-end cover gasket(seal isn't leaking) with new fluid. Perhaps it got too low and overheating. This maybe tripping the sensor.

I'm just guessing here.. please help someone :(
Old 06-23-2010, 19:47   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Does yor scanner chec ABS codes? There are may different things that can control the traction control system. A scan should lead toward the rignt direction. Can you turn the traction control off with the switch?

The differential does get pretty warm but I don't remember touching one after a gard drive. If it has limited slip, get some Friction-Modifier to put in with the gear oil.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71