Wanted: P-71 style push bar. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 16:44   #1 (permalink)

Wanted: P-71 style push bar.

In the never-ending quest to make the wife's GM into a P71, she now wants the push bar (if that's what its called?) in front. She wanted the spotlight, but I refuse to put a hole in the "A" pillar! I tried looking on Ebay, with no success. I figure with a zillion of these things out there, there should be some that were taken off a wrecked car!

Anyone got one? Hopefully, they're not too expensive!?!?

John
2000GMLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 19:54   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Wanted: P-71 style push bar.

Why would you, or your wife, want the car to look like a police car? I don't know about Illinois, but in many states you can be cited and your vehicle impounded, if it resembles a police car too closely.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:14   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

eBay keywords: p71 push bar
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:50   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajarider View Post
Why would you, or your wife, want the car to look like a police car? I don't know about Illinois, but in many states you can be cited and your vehicle impounded, if it resembles a police car too closely.
She want's it to look like a police car, so everyone will stay out of her way! And, I don't understand your statement, as if you bought a used P71, most come with spotlights, and in some cases, push bars. So, by your statement, as soon as you bought it, it would be impounded? Makes no sense!

John
Old 10-09-2012, 01:53   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
eBay keywords: p71 push bar
Thanks for the keywords. Found them! Don't know if I'll buy one, as it would be almost $200 after shipping! And, thats not including the mounting brackets! I'd have to find them elsewhere!

John
Old 10-09-2012, 02:40   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Just an example how strict we are over here in the UK you would be in trouble for any blue light showing on the front in any shape or form unless an emergency vehicle . There have been people charged because of small blue light fittings round the washer jets which were a fashion trend recently . Putting the spot light on the pillar would be illegal also as it could cause injury to someone or a pedestrian by projecting out if involved in an accident for instance , unless a police vehicle .Same as bonnet mascots , they are now banned . Bit of an aside , but just shows the different laws and rules in different countries .

Ps . You could be in trouble if she wants what we call " BLUES AND TWOS " . (combined flashing lights as well as sirens ) !!!!
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:48   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

It's a judgement call as far as looking like a law enforcement vehicle. Spotlights are available and were a popular aftermarket accessory at one time for civilian vehicles. Pushbars, not so sure. But you misunderstand the reason I asked.

I am a 31 year police detective veteran (LAPD). I have a few retired friends who restore old police cars. For the reasons stated, they are not street legal, so they trailer them to car shows and charity events, where they are very popular. We have access to a lot of old police car parts from wrecks purchased at auction. If you were building the car as a police car replica, I can help with parts, including push bars sitting in a pile, but I do not want to be party to supplying parts to you for the purpose stated.
Old 10-09-2012, 14:42   #8 (permalink)

Actually, the push bar could serve two different purposes. First, it would kind of give the impression of a cop car, but second, it would probably help if she ever hit a deer. I'm considering getting a 'grille guard' for the front of my semi, for the same reason. People have saved their trucks front end from severe damage, with one of those. And, I'm not going all out, making it look like a cop car! I just have some P71 rims, with the small hupcaps on it, and, if I can find one cheap, a push bar. Like I said, she wanted a spotlight, and I refused, as I'm not putting a hole in the A pillar. But, the look is enough for people to slow down, when they're considering passing us! It's actually funny, watching people fly up from behind you on the expressway, doing like 90, and when they come up to the car, you can actually see the front end dip, as they slam on the brakes! All she wants, is for people to give her some space. And with that look, they do!

And "bajarider", there is a place in Chicago, that sells USED police cars! Complete with EVERYTHING! Push bars, spotlights, etc. My wife was actually interested in an '05 Charger they had, and it was reasonably priced, way below NADA value. But, it had the 5.7 Hemi in it, and I knew that would be way to much engine for her! Plus, it would probably suck much more gas, than the puny 4.6 in the GM. She's getting around 26 mpg's with it, so I'm not planning on getting rid of it!

John
Old 10-09-2012, 17:48   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

I'm not familiar with Illinois law, I am sure that you are correct, old police cars are legally sold here too, but you cannot legally drive a vehicle that resembles a police car in CA. I own several cars that are legal to buy and to sell, but they are not street legal.

It's a judgement call as to what resembles a police car, and law is a little more complicated than what we can discuss in this forum. But suffice to say that intent is an element of all state laws (where specific intent is an element of a violation, such as impersonating a law enforcement officer). And purchasing a push bar with the intent of making your car look like a police car so people move out of the way (they do just the opposite, it's called black and white fever) indicates your intent.

When all is said and done, most cops are way too busy to write tickets for equipment violations, so you will probably never have a problem, but it doesn't hurt to be aware that the law will be applied if necessary.

26 MPG, not too bad. I'd hang on to it too, especially with gas prices here!

Enjoy your car, but beware of knuckleheads who like to shoot at police cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71