Well, it's official... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 20:15   #1 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Well, it's official...

The Panther platform is dead, St. Thomas Assembly Plant is shut down. Last CV off the line goes to Saudi Arabia.

Ford's last Crown Victoria rolls off the line - Sep. 15, 2011

The death of the Ford Crown Victoria is a sad day for America

tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 20:33   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Well, it's official...

Old 09-19-2011, 04:52   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Surprised the last car was allowed to go to Saudi Arabia and not kept in USA / Canada .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:12   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

The sad end to an era. Until now, Ford has had a V8 sedan in production since 1932. The Taurus might perform better, but it is not a replacement for the CV. Law enforcement agencies will be reluctant to adopt the Taurus because of the complexity (expense) of FWD or AWD twin turbo technology, and nothing defines AMERICAN performance to the consumer like a front engine rear drive sedan.

I hope that the guys in Dearborn see the big hole left in their lineup and get to work on a modern CV replacement; one with more horsepower please. Remember what happened when Ford tried to kill the Mustang and replace it with the FWD Probe!

Perhaps the new platform would be a good place to introduce new technology such as a gasoline fueled Diesel engine. That engine would (hopefully) run cleaner than my 6.0 Excursion without the problems caused by emissions equipment required on the Diesel fueled engines.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:18   #5 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

this is very reason we are buyin these cars right now... my fiance and myself love these cars and have fun... we tinker on cars we have together and love the ride... my fiance's father wants to buy her 1990 Grand Marq... he drove it and said to hell with his other vehicles he wanted because of the ride and the way it would respond... he didnt realize what kind of work i have done to it... but this next spring it will get another trans and be on road again... i wanna find me another Crown Vic and my fiance wants another also... we only like the box bodies made from 1986-1991... they had the 5.0L in them that was SEFI... i can mod them and get 25mpg on hwy... i consider that pretty good from a 20 plus year old car... some people owning the cars we like dont wanna sell due to demo derby people... when we show up in one of our cars, they realize we care and maintain our cars... they drop price and everything since cars will go to good home... like what happened when i bough fiance's 1986 Crown Vic... guy dropped his price from $1300 to $500 and when i went to hand him the money, he said just give me $400

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:18   #6 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

by the way... here is a vid of the last one goin down assembly line if it hasnt been seen....

The Last Crown Vic - YouTube

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 14:32   #7 (permalink)

Oh, how sad !!! I just watched the link to the You Tube video. I knew this day was coming but it was hard to see the last lonely Vicky go down the line. It almost made me tear-up. Truly the end of an era; as far as I'm concerned FORD QUIT MAKING CARS THAT DAY. As long as there are sources to buy older cars & trucks and Big Brother permits us to drive them well....
LTD luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 14:48   #8 (permalink)

Can anyone fathom as to why Ford did not keep the very last car, signed by the (very downtrodden looking) workers, to display at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn?
LTD luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:06   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

That's what I posted above .Strange decision in my opinion .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 15:04   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
Surprised the last car was allowed to go to Saudi Arabia and not kept in USA / Canada .
Since the main reason the CV is being discontinued seems to be poor fuel economy, it's actually kinda appropriate since Saudi Arabia is where all the oil is...
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71