Wet Floor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 14:41   #1 (permalink)

Question Wet Floor

Since I've had my car I've noticed a musty smell when it gets hot. today I was vacuuming out the car and when I noticed that the front passenger floor aria was soaking wet under the floor-mat. That's probably the source of the smell, but what caused the carpet to get wet?

It dosn't smell like anything, just water so I don't think its coming from the heater core.

I used a carpet cleaner machine to suck as much water out as possible,and left the floor-mat out and the windows open, so hopefully it will dry.

I think I read somewhere a while back that there is a drain somewhere for condensation, is that true and could that be the problem?

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS ~89,000mi, Willow Green inside and out. It's very green.
1998 Chevrolet Malibu Base V6 187,000mi (sold)
BigMerc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 15:37   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Wet Floor

It can be the drain or even a plug in the firewall. The seal around the heater box can leak if it's been out and the seal not all the way in place.
Old 05-20-2010, 17:18   #3 (permalink)

I want to start with the simplest things first, so where's this drain located?
If its the heater box, that would mean I'm going to have to pull the dash right?

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS ~89,000mi, Willow Green inside and out. It's very green.
Old 05-20-2010, 18:55   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Here's a link to where it is. It's actually on the outside area. If it gets plugged, the water fills and goes in side the car. You can pour water inside the area below the windshield and wipers while someone watches inside to see it any gets in the car. Ford Crown Victoria Evaporator Drain Pictures
Old 05-20-2010, 20:20   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Bert, Its all coming back to me now. I remember seeing that page you linked to before. I'll have to check it out tomorrow before it rains.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:08   #6 (permalink)

okay, so I pulled the blower motor out and it was pretty clean in there, so I don't think that the drain is the issue. Although the blower motor looks like its been running non stop since 1996, the brushes are very worn.

Where should I look next? I'm trying to avoid having to pull up the carpet, but I feel like I'm going to have to in order to check on grommets in the firewall.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:50   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The water doesn't usually show up in the blower housing. You can use a mirror and look down inside the housing but you have to run water in the cowl to see if it drains.
Old 05-21-2010, 13:12   #8 (permalink)

I used the mirror to look in there, and it looks pretty clean. I'll go and try running water in the cowl now.

Old 05-21-2010, 13:51   #9 (permalink)

so after running water directly into the cowl, i saw it draining out under the condenser, so that ain't it. I'm thinking that it is coming from under the carpet, because if it was coming from above my rubber floor mats would be wet, and I've never noticed them being wet, just under them.

it's wettest directly below the power outlet that's on the bottom of the dash. I think that someone has been in there before, what I can see of the sound deadening without pulling back the carpet doesn't match the driver's side.

Old 05-21-2010, 14:21   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's right, if it drained underneath, it's not the drain there. Have you looked under the car around that area? Make sure to use safety stands.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71