what is faster? mauruder or p71?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 18:00   #1 (permalink)

what is faster? mauruder or p71??

i am looking to purchase a p71 or a mauruder.. the p71s are real cool cars, but i do want the leather and all the features. i know you can just install the interior from a mauruder, but if the mauruder is faster, than it will probably be more practical to just buy the maurder... which one is actually faster?? does the p71 have the DOHC like the mauruder??
Daviddc114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 18:27   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Re: what is faster? mauruder or p71??

The Marauder is faster. The P71 has the SOHC version of the 4.6L V8 making about 250hp; the Mercury puts down 300+ not to mention being a collector item and much more comfortable to drive.
Old 09-27-2010, 19:27   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviddc114 View Post
i am looking to purchase a p71 or a mauruder.. the p71s are real cool cars, but i do want the leather and all the features. i know you can just install the interior from a mauruder, but if the mauruder is faster, than it will probably be more practical to just buy the maurder... which one is actually faster?? does the p71 have the DOHC like the mauruder??
Welcome Daviddc114!

SyracuseP71 is pretty much spot on here. The P71s are a 2-valve as opposed to the Marauder's 4-valve engine. The block is constructed of aluminum in the Marauders as opposed to the iron block in the P71s which is said to handle significantly more power than the P71 right off the bat. With equivalent mods, the Marauder is ALWAYS going to be a step ahead. The heads breathe better, the intake breathes better and anything "Cobra" can be bolted onto this block considering the block is the same that was used in the Cobra Mustang. The only downside to owning a Marauder is that it is somewhat of a rarity. This results in a substantial asking price from anyone who is selling one with low miles. Even the ones with over 100K miles can still go for a decent amount of money. I would not expect a Marauder with 50K miles or less to fetch any less than 15K.

Let me tease ya with this one. I have a 1998 Mark VIII with the same engine and I got it for $7000 with 72K and that was even a steep price. When I was running the street bone stock, I ran door to door with an 04 Marauder on an aftermarket tune. (Or so I am assuming with the SCT sticker on the glass) :) Not trying to sway you one way or another, but the "Lincoln" version can be had for much less and the Gen 1 Mark VIIIs are even quicker yet.
Old 10-11-2010, 19:12   #4 (permalink)

Hi,
What are the steps I have to take and what are the things I need to replace on a stock black Crown Victoria LX (has dual exhaust already) to make it look, sound, and drive like a Mercury Marauder? Can I get a new airbag cover and mercury symbols to complete the look? I would also like some information on the chrome Marauder rims. Are there other brands for the rims, cheaper brands, higher quality ones? Are there Marauder spoilers available, and if so, how do I attach it? Any tips, advice, or how-to know-how would be very much appreciated.
winstonterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 19:53   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Spoilers and wheels are readily available, both expensive OEM parts and cheaper reproduction ones. Your best bet for detailed info on converting your car and the Mercs in general is MercuryMarauder.net
Old 10-13-2010, 18:40   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Another good site is crownvic.net
Old 10-13-2010, 18:48   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonterr View Post
Hi,
What are the steps I have to take and what are the things I need to replace on a stock black Crown Victoria LX (has dual exhaust already) to make it look, sound, and drive like a Mercury Marauder? Can I get a new airbag cover and mercury symbols to complete the look? I would also like some information on the chrome Marauder rims. Are there other brands for the rims, cheaper brands, higher quality ones? Are there Marauder spoilers available, and if so, how do I attach it? Any tips, advice, or how-to know-how would be very much appreciated.
Wassup winstonterr!

If you are going to obtain the performance of a Marauder, be ready to spend a little bit of cash. Not a whole lot to compete with a bone stock Marauder, but a little bit for sure. I would put a set of 3.73 gears in the rear differential and consider a good aftermarket throttle-body setup. My buddy has an "ACCUFAB" throttle body on his Crown Vic and he likes it a lot. Consider other ideas too such as opening up the exhaust a bit and putting in some magnaflows or dynomax mufflers. What year is your Vic? Did you know they are coming out with "STAINLESSWORKS" longtube headers for the newer Vics? That is a great head start right there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71