What size wire wheels should I get...13 or 14"? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2006, 18:55   #1 (permalink)

Question What size wire wheels should I get...13 or 14"?

I'm looking at getting some 100 spoke wire wheels for my 88 crown vic. I'm not sure if 13" is too small for my car. The site doesn't specify weight limits etc. Where I'm looking, 13 and 14" rims are the same price, its just the tires are more expensive the bigger you go. Any suggestions? Thanks.

darren
88_vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2006, 07:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: What size wire wheels should I get...13 or 14"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_vic
I'm looking at getting some 100 spoke wire wheels for my 88 crown vic. I'm not sure if 13" is too small for my car. The site doesn't specify weight limits etc. Where I'm looking, 13 and 14" rims are the same price, its just the tires are more expensive the bigger you go. Any suggestions? Thanks.

darren
you need at least the 14 , measure the brakes and work from there.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:49   #3 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

In my opinion 15's are the smallest that I would put on any full size car. Also this is what came on the car.
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:36   #4 (permalink)

In '85 base-model Crown Vics sported 14" wheels as standard equipment. This could very likely NOT be the case for an '88. I replaced my 14" rims & tires with 15" rims & tires. Reason for me was simple - there was a much broader range of tires available in the 15" size, and only a handful of (poorer-quality) tires available in 14".

If you like the look of the aluminum "spoke" rims that were put on many Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, and Lincolns in the early 90s, these rims are of the correct size & offset, and are a direct bolt-on to any 1980s Crown Victoria. You can pick up a set for pretty cheap from a wrecking yard, or e-bay. Only the centre caps were different - having the "Ford" logo, the Mercury Logo, or the Lincoln logo. I've got these rims with the Lincoln caps on my Crown Vic, and it doesn't look too bad at all.
Lambykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 16:39   #5 (permalink)

if it matters,most places have to order 13" tires, but keep 14" in stock.
lostinfordland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 16:32   #6 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

The 88 model CV came with 15's standard
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 19:42   #7 (permalink)

Hey, I guess if I'm going to throw my two cents in, this would be a good time to introduce myself, I got a 1995 CVPI and a 1989 gt stang. I really came into this forum to find info on upgrades on the CV since I can't find any sites that sell anything specific for it. anyway back to the question. If I had to choose between those two sizes I would go with the 14". But personally I would't go below 15". I think that some 15" 100 spoke reversed wheels would definitely look good on that Crown. with some low profile tires. I got 15" American racing Aluminum wheels, reversed with bfgoodrich tires wrapped. It doesn't scrape and I can turn the wheels all the way without any rubbing. I would have gone with spokes but I drive a bit fast. anyway post pics when its done.
tigershark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71