What's killing my battery? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 10:32   #1 (permalink)
Harder

What's killing my battery?

Battery dies after car sits over night. Thought it could be one of two things. had to glue my seliniod back together some time ago, started getting white electrical crap on it so I changed it. also thought it could be stereo amp, disconneceted it. still dying. cleaned all battery connecters and all the like. battery light comes on while driving off while parked. tried different batteries. Alt might be failing but I don't care about that, can be rebuilt. need to find out what's draining my battery while parked. Where do I start? Is this a commen defect in a 91 crown vic 5.0l? thanx for any help in advance
Cat in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 12:17   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: What's killing my battery?

It's not a common problem. Check the amp draw at the battery and disconnect fuses to see when it goes down. It should be no more than about 50 milliamps. Could be slightly higher but in that area. here's how. http://www.bbbind.com/Bulletins_Atta...ery%20draw.pdf
Old 09-03-2010, 12:48   #3 (permalink)

Many things can pull down a battery. Everything from a light staying on in the glove box
or trunk to a positive diode shorted in the alt. You have to put a volt meter ( analog )
in series with the battery. Pull fuses untill you see 0 volts and look in that curcuit. From what i read in your post i'd be looking at the alternator. Do your seat belt buzzers work ? Finding a battery drain can be very involved and take many hours. Without seeing
the car all i can do is give you some place to look. you wouldn't happen to have a trailer
connection would you ?
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 20:50   #4 (permalink)
Harder

Thanx guys, think I found it. Went to Lordco( that's B.C,s bigger parts store ) and talked to the dude there and apparently the alteraters of that period fry the larger connection going into it. looked fine but some hooky looking tape job was running down the harness so I undid it and found another plug in about 6" down from the the first 2 runnig to the alt. as I undid the plug it fell apart in my hands. At least the next mornig when I put what was left of the harness back together the old girl fired right up. Score. on another note I tried setting my $6 multimeter to the 10 A setting to read draw it said nothing. Iwas under the impression that setting was to read power not draw. Maybe the fuse is blown in the tool or maybe I just own cheap crap. I am interested in learnig electronics so I might man up and by a nice "Fluke" brand but if anybody has any suggestions on what I was doing wrong I'd like to hear. Again thanx guys appreciat your willing to share knowledge.
Cat in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:50   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Glad you got it fixed. Get a good book on auto electronics and practice. Check your library to see what they have availlable.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71