Ford Forums banner

What's In My Tranny Pan?!

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  00Silver 
#1 ·
Ok guys...never seen this one before. Dropped the tranny pan to change the filter in the 00, and found a little plastic thing with a rubber O'ring around it...Looks kinda like a mushroom almost, just rolling around all willy nilly in the bottom of the pan:wtf2:. Is this just the plug for the fill tube from the factory? Seems hard to believe they'd just leave it in there. I took it out and put everything back together...hope it wasn't important. Everything seemed to shift fine on the way home.

#2 ·
As my Dad used to say, "it's the muffler nut!"

It's really the dipstick plug used by Ford during assembly. I've found one in every new Ford I've owned. They don't cause any problem and as far as I know, Ford didn't charge extra for the plug.

If your car has over 50,000 miles on it and you've just discovered the plug, your trans would appreciate a fluid change and will reward your attention with many miles of trouble free service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.