When I turn the key, I get nothing...... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 06:04   #1 (permalink)

confused When I turn the key, I get nothing......

Hello, I have a 1998 Crown Victoria. I just got it 2 weeks ago, everything was fine untill I went to start it and nothing, not even a click. When I turn the key to on the lights, dash and radio work fine untill I turn the key to start and it all goes dead, not even a click. So far I tried to jump start it, replace batts. I even tried jumping the solenoid if thats what its called. Any ideas? Thanks
Rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 07:37   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: When I turn the key, I get nothing......

Does it have a key with a big handle part? Have you tried another key? Does it have a security light on the dash?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:02   #3 (permalink)

Well the key handle is bigger than most key handles. I dont have another key. When you say security light Im not sure. Which is security light?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:53   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It's a red light on top of the dash, near the defroster outlet.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:14   #5 (permalink)

Ok the security light is blinking....
Old 04-29-2010, 12:24   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

PATS uses a visual theft indicator. This indicator will prove out for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START under normal operation. If there is a PATS problem, this indicator will either flash rapidly or glow steadily for more than three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START. PATS also flashes the theft indicator lamp every two seconds at ignition OFF to act as a visual theft deterrent.
Old 04-29-2010, 14:01   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I couldn't find any place that showed starter being disabled with PATS. I know the newer ones won't crank but I don't remember tha older ones. Here's the diagram for the system. Have you tried putting it in neutral and trying?
Old 04-29-2010, 17:24   #8 (permalink)

When I turn keys the security lights stay on constant for 3 secs then goes blank. I tried starting the car while in neutral and still nothing. Someone told me to jump start solenoid, I tried and it sparks and turns but engine wont start. Is there a second solenoid other that the one bolted to the starter? Thanks
Old 04-29-2010, 18:52   #9 (permalink)

You probably have a pats issue. If I remember correctly, the pats system disables both the starter and the vehicles ignition if it doesn't recognize the key that is trying to start it. The Key has a chip in it (thus the over-sized plastic part) that sends a unique radio frequency identification code, which is read by a receiver in the ignition switch, this is why hardware store key copies won't work with your car.

If the key was ever dropped hard enough or submerged in water, it is possible that it has lost its RFID code and is no longer being recognized by your car, but there could also be an issue with the pats system in the car.

The fact that the security light stays lit for three seconds is a clue, but I don't know what it means, maybe someone who dose will chime in.

the reason that jumping the starter solenoid makes the starter turn but won't start the car is because you are directly powering the starter, but the pats system is still disabling the ignition.

Whatever the problem is, if its pats related you are probably going to need to take it to a dealership, sorry to say.

If you end up needing to take the car to the dealership, you may want to consider having them program a second key for you. Once you have two keys, you can program more yourself in the car.

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS ~89,000mi, Willow Green inside and out. It's very green.
1998 Chevrolet Malibu Base V6 187,000mi (sold)
BigMerc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:08   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, I dont have the funds to take it to a dealer right now so I will try a few things before I have to tow it somewhere. If anyone has any other ideas, feel free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71