WTB: fuel tank sender unit - '91 CV 5.8L - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2006, 16:11   #1 (permalink)

WTB: fuel tank sender unit - '91 CV 5.8L

Anyone have a resource for a NOS fuel sender unit for a 1991 Crown Victoria with 5.8L (351 CID)? I could use the part number too. Thanks in advance.
wb0qqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2006, 10:45   #2 (permalink)

Re: WTB: fuel tank sender unit - '91 CV 5.8L

You're probably facing the same problem I faced a little over a year ago - the item is no longer produced by Ford. I even called around the country (Canada for me) and came up with nothing.

In my particular case, I had purchased an aftermarket fuel sending unit (new) from NAPA. However, it is of extremely poor quality, and there were no other manufacturers to choose from. The first sending unit I purchased leaked from the plastic electrical plug. I was able to return that, and tried another new sending unit - only this one spiked the fuel guage all the way past "Full" and it stayed there.

What's the saying - necessity is the mother of invention? Anyway, I decided to diagnose my old sending unit (there were times when it'd read empty when the tank wasn't, and for a while it'd spring to life - and cleaning all electrical connections did nothing to resolve the issue). Again, in my particular case, I discovered the original sending unit that was put on the car when it rolled off the assembly line had a bad float. It's made of tin - very thin tin. It had a small crack in it, and I only noticed it because a day later there was wet gasoline on my bench. Naturally, depending on temperature, this crack would expand and let in fuel, and the float would sink.

In my case, I kept the aftermarket sending unit, and robbed it of it's float. However, that was both a lazy & expensive venture. You CAN repair your old float any number of ways. However, the best way would be to solder the leak.

I can't say for sure that you have the same problem, but you'll have one of two conditions with the original sending unit - it'll either have a bad float, but more common, you probably have bad ground (due to corrosion at the sending unit). Clean all of the electrical connections, including the ground connections (this includes the locking ring for the sending unit). If the unit is already out of the tank, inspect the float carefully.

As an aside, the quality of the aftermarket sending unit compared to the factory original is like night & day. The original Ford sending unit will last a very very long time. It's a very simple component, and they aren't difficult to repair. I'm probably good for another 20 years.
Lambykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71