300tdi or td5 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > General PAG discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General PAG discussions Premier Auto Group discussions. Discuss Lincoln, Jaguar, Volvo and Range Rovers

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2002, 03:22   #1 (permalink)

300tdi or td5

Ok, then lets start with with this one............

Nobody is saying that the td5 is not a very good engine, but is it realy the right one for the defender?

In a few years time I will be up for a new Land Rover or at least nearly new, but the td5 with all it's electronic gismos worry me.

Why oh why does Land Rover not give the option of a 300tdi, I know about the emissions but the whole point of defenders is *go anywhere, fix anywhere*.

Am I alone here, does anyone agree or disagree for that matter.

Your thoughts please.

Boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2002, 04:02   #2 (permalink)

Ok I have tried to find an article on this. It was an interview with Wolfgang about future engines for the entire LandRover range.

In it he stated that the desiels were being replaced with an entirely new rnage that included a new V8.

They plan to introduce a new entry level model below the defender so maybe they might be working on the KISS principal.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 04:33   #3 (permalink)

td5

hi guys,
well i have little knowledge of the 300 however i have had now 5 td5's the latest being a brand new 110. now up untill now i have no complaints with the td5 and in fact i just love it. i never managed to start working my way up the ladder with series landies and moved straight to the range rover, disco and now the past few years the defender which is the best fun of them all. yes its not as plain to work on as the older m/c's but is a joy to drive.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:31   #4 (permalink)

I'm not saying that the td5 is not a good engine, infact it's a very good engine proberbly the best in any 4x4 but what happens if your in say Morocco in a td5 that is 4years old and with 120k plus on the clock and it breaks down. Your local mechanic is unlikely to have a lap top and the software to find out what is wronge.

A defender is not just a vehicle but a statement of your life style. The people know that if you buy a new Defender that it will, if they want it to last them for at least twenty years, and more if they look after it. It's rugged image is what sells defenders, lose that and you lose sales! If you are unlucky enough to break down far away from any land rover delership you need to know that any local mechanic can get you going again if not yourself.

Hubber, you said that yours is "a joy to drive", well yes, it's a land rover thing. Every time that I get behind the wheel of mine it makes me smile, and 99% of defender owners would agree I am sure. It's not many vehicles that can clame that is there. I have driven or owned Land Rovers all my adult life and would not change any one of them for anything else.

One more thing, the British army do not have td5's but still go for the tdi's. Worth thinking about that isn't it.

Boy
Old 03-05-2002, 11:18   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Hi Boy

Yes I agree with you entirely. The Utility Landrover should be just that and able to be repaired by non technical people wherever it happens to fail with whatever is at hand. Landrovers have built up their reputation for toughness and durability while operating in some of the most hostile climates on earth. It simply is not sensible to use a vehicle that is a technological masterpiece with all its gadgetry in those situations where your life may depend on its continued running. If you can't beat a part back into functioning with a hammer it has no place on a utility Landrover.

The whizzo gadget jobs are Ok for a jaunt with the family up a grassy slope in Wiltshire but not so clever when you are up to the dashboard in water after rolling it down a river bank in Borneo.

Keep the Defender or its successor technically simple.

Rocket3

1989 ex Plod V8 90
Rocket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 11:34   #6 (permalink)

Nice to see that you made it here as well Rocket, BTW sorry that i could not make it to the auto jumble on Sunday but No2 son had a rugby match. Though from what you said I did not miss much.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:42   #7 (permalink)

Yeah

It seems that those that went really early had a good day but everyone else they couldn't care less about. Anyway I've said my twopenneth so we'll see what happens next time.

I say this Forum seems Ok don't you think? just needs a few more of the regulars.

1989 ex plod V8 90 and 1993 V8i Disco
Old 03-05-2002, 11:48   #8 (permalink)

It seems to be very well run, only a few on at the moment but *small beginings* and you never know?

BTW here is a pic of me in Cabo de Geta looking for a lap top after it stoped, well up into the 40s.

Boy
Old 03-05-2002, 11:52   #9 (permalink)

Got the Piccies sorted then. Thats just the sort of trip that demonstrates a utility Landrovers usefulness when its simple.

1989 ex plod V8 90 and 1993 V8i Disco
Old 03-05-2002, 11:52   #10 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Welcome aboard. Nice to see that this area is picking up. We just opened the PAG area and added the LR discussion forums. We look forward to the areas growing.

If you have any questions or suggestions please post them in the general LR discussion area. We can usually get to them in a matter of minutes.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > General PAG discussions