Ford Forums banner

Have I got a new chassis?

2K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Budgie 
#1 ·
I have a 1990 ex-RAF 110 with 143,000km on the clock and an excellent chassis. In fact the chassis is in really excellent condition, although it is only painted and not galvanised. It has obviously been backed into something very hard at some time as it has an aluminium patch about 18" square on the rear nearside quarter, and I would guess that it has had a replacement rear crossmember as this is unpainted and has an even coating of surface rust. The only confusion on this is that the welding doesn't look like an in-situe repair, and there is no sign of cutting on the chassis itself. It was only at the MoT today (which it passed - hurrah) when the guy said what excellent condition the chassis was in for its' age that I started to wonder if the chassis was replaced as well as the rear crossmember.

So the question is how do I tell? The VIN on the chassis ties up with teh VIN on the plate, but I assume that that is put on when the build is finished. Are there any other serial numbers (like the axles, etc.) and can if so is there anywhere I can check if it's original? Any other ideas as to how I could tell?

MTIA

G
#2 ·
Hi Bob,

I'm not sure if yours is a new chassis, but I had a 1978 Series III back in the late-80's and the chassis on that was like new.
The paint that the MOD had put on it was a really thick black bitumen type paint and if you chipped a small bit off, then you could see the original black chassis paint that Landrover put on there. I assume this is what you have.

As for the new rear cross-member, it sound like (as you suggest) it was fitted after a rear end shunt at some time.

The only people I can think of that may have the info your looking for is Landrover Heritage. I try to find thier number and post it on here.

Martin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.