Ford Forums banner

just got our new Towncar and have some questions

2K views 8 replies 1 participant last post by  burn[cnb] 
#1 ·
Hi there,

me and my girl (27 + 28) just got our new Lincoln Town Car (1988) 4dr Sedan today, but even though there came the original manual with it I couldn't find any information about the engine (horsepower etc.).
Does anybody know some more details about that car? Or is there maybe a page with some more information about that car?
Btw it's our first American car *grin*

thnx in advance

a proud owner

/burn[cnb]

#5 ·
thnx anyway

hey gdblake,

I'm really happy that I got a reply at all ;)

I expected to get some more info right away, because this is a Ford Forum... but you are the first one to answer me, so no excuses!!

220hp would be fine though ;)

what car do you own?

greets & peace

burn[cnb]

G
#6 ·
Hi Burn, I have a '92 Town Car, Exec, 210 hp/dual exhaust. It's been a great car. Other than batteries, tires, shocks (heavy duty to lessen the nose dive on braking and the leaning on cornering) and just replaced the brake pads-only have had to replace the power antenna, and the belt tensioner. Really---the least trouble prone car I've ever owned. 82, 700 miles. Real nice chatting with you!! Best regards, and the Happiest of holidays.

#7 ·
Exec??

heyho gdblake,

hehe, jo, I had to get into cornering, too :) But once you got used to is its really fun.
In Germany they don't drive those huge cars, you know. You couldn't afford a car like that... Gas and insurance would kill you, either though we have to pay more insurance, because we're "unexperienced" drivers... got my drivers license in Germany more than 10 years ago and I used to drive tanks when I was in the army... and those insurance-freaks call me unexperienced *grrr*

But what I really wanted to ask... what means Exec??
And do you think, I could get a used seatbelt-tensioner for my old 1988 somewhere? 'Cause mine isn't working that good and I really would like to change this piece... same with the right back window regulator...
Maybe on a wasteyard?? Can you just go there and ask the guys there?? How much would that be and how difficult is it to exchange those parts??
Hehe, questions over questions :))

Nice chattin' with you man, where are you from?

greets & peace

/burn[cnb]

G
#8 ·
Hey Burn--A junk yard is the first place I'd look, too--asking the same questions you proposed. Sorry about "exec"--It's an "Executive"model Towncar--the bottom trim level of the three offered. Cartier is the most plush, with the Signature model in the middle. Good luck in finding the parts. If they are available at all at a dealership--the cost would be very high. Congrats. on your new car--hoping it serves you well. I was in the Army in Germany, too--1968-1971. Best regards, and again, I have enjoyed these visits. George

P.S. I now live in Runaway Bay, TX--a little golf/lake community about 75 miles NW of Dallas--from where I moved in 1996. Lived in Dallas since 1961, except for the Army.

#9 ·
I see...

Hey gdblake,

ok, the next days (or maybe after X-Mas) I'll try to find a junkyard in this area...
Do you know if there's maye a book about the Lincoln with some explanations of how to do such things like exchanging the belt tensioner... I never worked on cars so far, although im pretty handy (worked as an elevator mechanic for 2 years).

How can I find out, what model (Exec, Signature or Cartier) we have??

In which part of Germany were you in the army??

greets from sunny Florida

Burn[cnb]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.