1986 E-350 Gauges Not Working - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 16:11   #1 (permalink)

1986 E-350 Gauges Not Working

I bought a 1986 E-350 on which the battery, oil pressure, and temperature gauges aren't working. The guy I bought it from has mounted three aftermarket gauges that all work, however I think they look bad. I would like to use the factory gauges but dont know if they are broken or if simply have been disconnected to run lines to the aftermarket gauges. I have removed the instrument cluster but the only thing running to it is the speedometer cable and a wiring harness, not lines to each individual gauge. Is there a way to take the hookups from the aftermarket gauges and hook them to the factory gauges with this type of instrument cluster? Any suggestions on how to get the factory gauges working is appreciated.
kstatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 06:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1986 E-350 Gauges Not Working

Ok, an update on these gauges. I followed the wires from the factory gauges back towards the engine and found that the leads for the temperature and oil pressure gauges are just hanging in there by each sender unit, not hooked up to anything. It looks like to me that the aftermarket gauges came with their own sender units. I have ordered replacement factory sender units. When they come in, is it as easy as putting the factory sender units in and then hooking up the wires and the gauges will work? This seems pretty simple to me but I have never really ever worked with gauges so maybe I am missing a step? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:30   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstatechris View Post
Ok, an update on these gauges. I followed the wires from the factory gauges back towards the engine and found that the leads for the temperature and oil pressure gauges are just hanging in there by each sender unit, not hooked up to anything. It looks like to me that the aftermarket gauges came with their own sender units. I have ordered replacement factory sender units. When they come in, is it as easy as putting the factory sender units in and then hooking up the wires and the gauges will work? This seems pretty simple to me but I have never really ever worked with gauges so maybe I am missing a step? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I got them to work...Just hooked up factory replacement switches (senders) and had to patch the wire in a couple of places but no more falling apart aftermarket gauges (nice clean factory look now)!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:57   #4 (permalink)

I own an '89 E350 and am having guage problems (see my thread for details).

I'm curious to know whether the original owner installed the aftermarket guages because he was having problems with the Ford guages too.

My problem is the Temp, Fuel & Oil Pressure guages all spikng to the right, simultaneously, giving false readings (HOT, FULL, and HIGH). Whwen I tap on the plastic guage cover, the guages fall back to their normal position.
46fd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks