1988 F350 Camper won't run - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 10:17   #1 (permalink)

1988 F350 Camper won't run

Good day members! I have just bought a 1988 E350 Camper (ford chassis) and have the 7.5L gasoline engine (460). The starter spins the engine fine, but I have a no start condition. Initially I'm suspecting the fuel pump, but was told by the previous owner its relatively new. I've been checking other members posts/replies about "wetcamp's 86 E350, as well as those who've responded such as thefonz and Mbrgr1.

Basically, wetcamp and myself have the same truck/camper with one exception. Mine has only one fuel tank whereas wetcamp said he has 2.

The same problem exists however, engine spins over fine, but won't start. The previous owner drove it recently 1/2 mile to a new storage lot that I help oversee, two days later, tried to restart the engine, and it spun fine, but wouldn't fire up.

Initially, I've taken the intake apart and sprayed a minimal amount of starting fluid down both intake hoses, and turned the key. Immediately I had an engine start and it ran for about 2-3 seconds, then quit. I had help onsite with me posted at the fuel tank when I turned the ignition on, and neither of us heard the fuel pump come on inside the tank. We even switched positions to make sure, and the pump in the tank isn't powering up.

From reading others data here on the forums, there's fuseable links involved, fuel pump relays, and possibly two (2) fuel pumps (one high pressure and one low pressure?). Are they both inside the fuel tank? As long as I'm squirting starting fluid in the intake I can get the engine to spin over and briefly start, but it won't stay running. The engine/chassis have 82,000 miles on them, and the motorhome has been sitting for almost 5 years.

Here's a list of the questions that I have, and any input will be appreciated:

1. The fuel pumps (obviously electric) are located where? (how to test em?)
2. The fuel pump "relay" (its location and how to test it)
3. The inertia switch (its location and how to test it)
4. The fuseable links (how many are there, and where are they located?)

I'm reasonably sure that I have either a failed fuel pump or an electrical issue preventing the fuel pump (s) from powering up to deliver fuel to the engine.

Thanks for reading this long winded thread, in the future I'll try and keep posts/threads minimal. I'm familiar with the 460 V8 (7.5L) engine, but not the fuel system in the 1988's (fuel injection, etc)

Best Regards,

Mike (MistrMLJ)

MistrMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 11:18   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 1988 F350 Camper won't run

First off, I'd check the fuel pressure itself. If the pressure is low then I'd start suspecting pump/electrical problems. If the fuel pressure is within spec, then there's no need in spending countless hours messing around with the fuel system. Have you replaced the spark plugs? A few bad/fouled plugs can hamper an engines ability to run. Anyway, I'd get the fuel pressure sorted out first.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:03   #3 (permalink)

Re: 1988 F350 Camper won't run

The lift pump is in the tank and the high pressure pump is on the chassis under the driver seat area.When you turn the key to on,there is a fuel relay which energizes and sends power to the pumps.It is located on the right fender area near the firewall and is usually green in colour.Have you changed or added new gas to this 5 year stuff?If not do so.When you add this starting fluid,it dries out the cylinder walls after a few shots so don't overuse this stuff.Remove the plugs and squirt a couple shots of motor oil in the plug holes before trying to start it next time to build up the compression again after all this trying to start ,no doubt the walls are gas washed now.Like the other reply stated ,check the fuel pressure so as to eliminate any guessing on the gas pumps and continue from there with this procedure I stated.
Doc.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks