1992 E-350 Cruise not working - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 19:33   #1 (permalink)

1992 E-350 Cruise not working

just bought a 1992 Winnebago 27' Class C RV which is built on a 92 E-350 chassis. The cruise control is not working. I assume there is supposed to be a dash light that comes on to indicate that the speed control system is powered on when you hit the "on" button. I cannot get this light to come on, and I cannot get the cruise to come on when I drive it. The horn was also not working, so I assumed that maybe the clockspring was bad. Took it apart, clockspring checked out fine on a continuity test. Put the steering wheel assembly back together, now the horn magically works (I didn't change anything). However, still no cruise control. Before I took the steering wheel apart, I took off the center portion of the steering wheel and checked the wiring behind it. There is a light blue wire that appears to go to the cruise buttons, a yellow wire that appears to run the horn, and a black wire that I assume is a ground (I do not have airbags). When I found the horn was not working, I manually grounded the black wire and this caused the horn to work. So I traced the wiring back to the point where it goes through the firewall, and it all looks good. The ground must be working now or else the horn wouldn't be functioning at all. I can't detect any current coming into the blue wire. I have checked all the fuses in the fuse box and power distribution box, but I can't find any wiring diagrams so I am lost from here on out. I know there is a recall on this model's cruise deactivation switch, but I don't think it has been done. It looks like someone has cut one of the red wires coming into the harness on the bottom of the master brake cylinder and run it directly over to one of the 2 wires coming out of the cruise deactivation switch. Don't know why they would have done this, unless it somehow bypasses the deactivation switch. Even if this were somehow defective, it still shouldn't stop the cruise system from powering on, which seems to be my problem. Any ideas on where to go from here?
atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 22:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1992 E-350 Cruise not working

I don't know if this will help, but I figured would post it anyway. I got the recall done on my '95 350 and I couldn't get the cruise to work either. It turned out the the "set" and "coast" buttons (I think) were reversed. At any rate, if I wanted to set it I had to push the opposite button. I can't remember if there is a light on my dash that says cruise is on.
There is another recall. Ironically it is a recall on the original recall repair...if you didn't already know.
good luck!
gargamel6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 18:20   #3 (permalink)

Is the recall on the recall you refer too the wiring harness replacement going to the cruise control switch?

I'm having problems now that may be connected to this also. My dealer did NOT fix mine. I have a 92 E150 Econoline.

I just had a short in my brake and hazard light and burned thru wiring fixed Friday. Today my van was in the driveway, not driven or on and I saw a HUGE plum of smoke come out of the underside near the rear firewall in front of the steering column! Then it stopped.

I moved the van way away from the house until I can call the Ford dealer AGAIN about this. They kept putting me off about the recall repair before when I called several times in the past.

Does it sound like this may be the problem to anyone? I HATE electrical problems!

thanks
Shirazois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:34   #4 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

atropine
Not necessarily - some vehicles got a CRUISE indicator; some didn't. You can add one if you want, but don't assume yours originally came with it. The wiring mod you're describing isn't the Ford/NHTSA-authorized one, so you should have it repaired ASAP, including the correct recall (if it applies to your vehicle). Read these captions:

. . .

Shirazois
The recall doesn't "fix" any failures in the cruise system - it only prevents fires. If you suspect yours wasn't done properly or wasn't effective, take LOTS of photos & contact your insurance agent ASAP. They should handle it from there, including contacting Ford, OMV, DOT, & NHTSA if necessary.
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks