1999 5.4L dies right after start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 08:19   #1 (permalink)

1999 5.4L dies right after start

Here we are again, new problems on my 99 E150 5.4L.
Had just replaced the O2 sensors at the end of last year, the Van has not been used since November last year right before the long cold winter we had here in MN this year, I had a chance to replace the O2 sensors and took it for a short test drive and had it running idle a few times, everything was good and the codes I had previous to replacing O2 sensors had gone away, motor was running fine... That is until yesterday... Driving down the road (for the first time in months) not more than 5 miles away from home, it lost power and then it died... Now it starts but it dies within a couple of seconds, specially if gas is applied... Any suggestions as to where to start???
There are no codes present at the moment and I don't think I will be getting any due to the fact that I can not complete a driving cycle for the computer to register the code, so I am lost... I have not touched anything yet to avoid making the problem worse, so I will wait for a few suggestions... Could it be as simple as fuel gone bad from sitting around for over 6 months??? Thanks in advance.
David A.
Dgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 10:03   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 1999 5.4L dies right after start

Could be bad gas, really need to get pressure from the fuel rail to find out if it's bad or loss of pressure. A regulator sitting can decide not to adjust, sitting gas can have corrosion particulate build up and foul the filter, etc. You really need to look for more clues as to what's happening.
Old 05-18-2014, 16:07   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

If you had anything apart when you did the O2 sensors I would recheck. Could be vacuum,plug not hooked up

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 13:14   #4 (permalink)

Hi, Thanks.
I re-checked everything and could not find anything un-plugged, I had a friend here today and started the van, it started right up and died, the first words that came out fo his mouth were "it's just not getting any gas" so i suppose that would be the start of the whole conversation here, it is just not getting any gas, now please stay with me on this one...
In order for it to actually start, there has to be some fuel pushed into the motor (now I am not being technical here), so somehow even a little bit of fuel is being sent to the motor, does this rule out the possibility of it (the problem) being the fuel pump or filter in any way?
Does the fact that it actually starts rule out any components and highlights perhaps more specific possibilities? I would assume that is for example the fuel pump was bad then we would not be able to start up at all right?... So what else can we try to do?
I want to point out that most of my successful repairs have being accomplished with the help I get from here so I am very thankful for any and every piece of insight no matter how insignificant it may seem (fuse,realy.etc.),,, Thanks much.
Old 05-19-2014, 14:07   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Crank sensor ?

Part 1 -How to Test the Crankshaft Position Sensor (Ford 4.6L, 5.4L)
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 18:16   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgames View Post
Hi, Thanks.
I re-checked everything and could not find anything un-plugged, I had a friend here today and started the van, it started right up and died, the first words that came out fo his mouth were "it's just not getting any gas" so i suppose that would be the start of the whole conversation here, it is just not getting any gas, now please stay with me on this one...
In order for it to actually start, there has to be some fuel pushed into the motor (now I am not being technical here), so somehow even a little bit of fuel is being sent to the motor, does this rule out the possibility of it (the problem) being the fuel pump or filter in any way?
Does the fact that it actually starts rule out any components and highlights perhaps more specific possibilities? I would assume that is for example the fuel pump was bad then we would not be able to start up at all right?... So what else can we try to do?
I want to point out that most of my successful repairs have being accomplished with the help I get from here so I am very thankful for any and every piece of insight no matter how insignificant it may seem (fuse,realy.etc.),,, Thanks much.

A bad fuel pump can still start and stall. Can you check fuel pressure or hear pump run? Can you check codes? Will it stay running if you push throttle pedal?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:11   #7 (permalink)

Ok guys, good news... Van is up a running again!!!
Before I get any further I want to once again express my gratitude towards the help and suggestions provided, mechanic work can really get intimidating for us amateurs but having a group of guys with some knowledge that are willing to lend a hand can make things a bit more tolerable, specially those that are not afraid to suggest the most obvious and simplest of fixes, Thank you!

Well, with that being said, I had checked and checked and re-cheked every wire and hose to make sure there was nothing loose and could not find anything, that is until this morning when I decided to do one more just for the heck of it... The air intake hose the main big one was loose on the underside where it clamps, clamp wasnt tight enough and with the bad roads the vibration had separated the joint on the underside making it difficult to see, had that clamp removed and re-installed everything and van fired right up... Just in case and to be sure I re-disconnected the hose slightly to re-create the problem and sure enough that was the issue.

I appreciate every bit of input and once again thank you,,,, see you at the lake
Old 05-20-2014, 10:59   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Good to hear you got it solved and it was something minor , thanks for updating the forum .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks